Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,461   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whole Plate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Whole Plate.

Are the old classic whole-plate format cameras still available?
    The reason I ask, is I noticed that J&C are taking orders for Ilford ULF etc and 6.5x8.5 inch sheets were mentioned.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    They still pop up from time to time although I shouldn't think anyone (apart from Gandolfi perhaps) is still making them. I have a couple of half-plate cameras.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    It would be really nice to know how much of these different formats sell - the J&C list doesnt list half plate (which I would buy) but does list whole plate (and it doesnt seem to be a strictly ULF list as it has 6.5x9cm).

Gandolfi will make them, but you see very few around compared to half plate - I saw a whole plate studio portrait camera for sale in Portobello market a few weeks back, first I have ever seen (no plate holders, listed price a bit expensive), but there are half and quarter plate cameras constantly on ebay in the uk in varying conditions, and in shops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got three whole plate cameras in my collection. All of them about a hundred years old. Too bad the format died out as the size and ratio is pretty much perfect (a lot more real estate than a 5x7 but not as cumbersome as an 8x10). Biggest problem aside from finding film is finding holder which actual fit (there are dozens of sizes out there).
    Well, looks like I have to pay a visit to J&C's site now .
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do a hell of a lot of Whole plate ground screens, so someone has to be using them!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    I do a hell of a lot of Whole plate ground screens, so someone has to be using them!

Dave
    And I do need a few new ground glasses too
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by big_ben_blue View Post
    Too bad the format died out as the size and ratio is pretty much perfect (a lot more real estate than a 5x7 but not as cumbersome as an 8x10).
    Yes, it is curious why this format became unfashionable, some find the 4:5 ratio a bit too square and the 3:2 ratio a bit too narrow. I like the idea of a format of 4:3 which whole plate is close to and as you say, wouldn`t be as bulky as 8x10. Perhaps a new 8x6 format?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Isn't whole plate that size because it's a golden ratio rectangle?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    No, the golden ratio is about 1.618. The formats closest to "golden" in that general size range are 5x8, 6x10 and 7x11.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    Nope. The Golden Ratio = 1.6180339887...

8.5/6.5 = 1.3076923076...

5x8, 7x11 and 12x20 come much closer to the Golden Ratio:

8/5 = 1.60

11/7 = 1.5714285714...

20/12 = 1.666666666...

The Fibonacci sequence converges on the Golden Ratio

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34...

So, in addition to 5x8, 8x13 and 13x21 would be very, very close to the Golden Ratio:

13/8 = 1.625

21/13 = 1.6153846153...

Of course, 21x34 gets you even closer (as does each successive pair in the Fibonacci sequence):

34/21 = 1.6190476190...

Personally, I kinda like the idea of the 7x11 format. Big enough to yield nice contact prints, but small enough to carry in the field.

Kerry
    Last edited by ReallyBigCameras; 11-16-2006 at 07:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin