Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,776   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Tips for using Slavich 9x12 ISO160 plates

Having been gifted a beautiful old full-plate Gandolfi wooden field camera, I've taken the plunge and bought some Slavich 9x12 ISO160 glass plates (the camera has a 9x12 adaptor and a number of wooden double dark slides).

So, a few questions:

Does anyone have experience of loading the plates into the wooden dark slides? Is it straightforward? Any tips?

Once I've exposed the plates does anyone have any advice on developing them? I'll be tray developing but are there any recommendations for developer, temperature, time, agitation, etc

Any other tips gratefully received!

Barry

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Loading is even easier than loading film - there's no "flex" to them, so they're either properly in or not in at all.

Use whatever developer you're used to, is my best advice. I don't tend to follow my own advice very often, so I've done some in Pextral's two-bath developer and got great negatives - for POP.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Loading is even easier than loading film - there's no "flex" to them, so they're either properly in or not in at all.

Use whatever developer you're used to, is my best advice. I don't tend to follow my own advice very often, so I've done some in Pextral's two-bath developer and got great negatives - for POP.
    Ole, thanks for the reply. How would I estimate the dev time? Also, potentially silly question, but can the plates be developed under a safe light (if so, which one) or do they need total darkness? I'm not sure if they're panchromatic?

Thanks

barry

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They are panchromatic (or "Izooptochromatic", near enough to the same thing), so you can only use a safelight you would consider using for developing other film...

That's why i used a two-bath developer, the time doesn't really matter. I'll be trying some more one of these days, I guess I'll give them ten minutes in whatever developer and take it from there...
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ole, thanks for the tips. I developed my first two plates in trays yesterday - 8 minutes in Neofin Blue diluted to 700ml, 3 seconds agitation every minute and they've come out nicely (I under-exposed both unfortunately because I forgot the reciprocity failure due to concentrating too much on setting the camera up!)

The tonality is what stands out - beautiful compared with my usual 6x9 negs.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    They are panchromatic (or "Izooptochromatic", near enough to the same thing), so you can only use a safelight you would consider using for developing other film...

That's why i used a two-bath developer, the time doesn't really matter. I'll be trying some more one of these days, I guess I'll give them ten minutes in whatever developer and take it from there...

Shooter
    Medium Format

Foto?

Can you post a jpeg. of your camera please, just out of interest? I have a Gandolfi whole plate camera (for shooting film).
    Thanks
    Anton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a number of plate cameras and would be interested in shooting some plates, but when I have looked at the Slavich site, their products seem to be for holography. Perhaps I am just too stupid to figure out which emulsion would work for 'normal' photography, or am I looking at the wrong products? Can someone help?
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think you've looked at the wrong Slavich site - try http://www.slavich.ru/english/products/fotoplastin/

The photographic plates are the PFN-01T. Slavich will also coat any emulsion on any support, but there is a minimum order size. That size is quite small, but glass plates are heavy so shipping is expensive.

I boought my plates from Retro Photographic. They were expensive - at least until I started comparing with 1934 prices!
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Ole. I had a feeling I was on the wrong site, but somehow my Google attempts failed to come up with this one.
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hollis View Post
    Can you post a jpeg. of your camera please, just out of interest? I have a Gandolfi whole plate camera (for shooting film).
    Thanks
    Anton
    Here it is, I've attached a front and rear view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gandolfi front.jpg   Gandolfi rear.jpg  
    My website: Light Work

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin