Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,902   Online: 1064

Thread: First Attempt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

First Attempt

I have just loaded up the film sheaths of the two plate holders for my Ica Ideal 385 for the first time. A couple of jobs to do around the house first, then off to the local park to play with my new toy

Wish me luck! I will report back later with the results later!

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the luck in the World and good printing too!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmmm, not as successful as I hoped

The first piece of film moved and got in the way of the darkslide, preventing me from replacing it.

The second piece, after development, has no trace of an image on it but is uniformly dark all over apart from the edges which are clear where it was held under the lip of the film sheath. I'm guessing the film holder isn't light-tight.

On the plus side, my development routine seems to work and I found it easier to work in total darkness than I was expecting.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Woohoo! There is something there after all!

It's so faint that I couldn't see anything until I held the film up in the daylight.

Under-development possibly? I have only developed roll film in tanks up until now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Stan,

glad to see you're getting into plate photography too.

Not sure what went out with the film/exposure/lighting/development details although it's kind of groovy listening into the post like a journal blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    Woohoo! There is something there after all!

It's so faint that I couldn't see anything until I held the film up in the daylight.

Under-development possibly? I have only developed roll film in tanks up until now.
    Did you load the film in backwards? The emulsion side must face the lens.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs View Post
    Did you load the film in backwards? The emulsion side must face the lens.
    I followed the instructions on http://www.largeformatphotography.info/loading.html so hopefully I got the film the right way round.

The only recognizable image is at the opposite end of the film to the darkslide opening, and the fog is noticeably worse towards the other end so I think the problem might be the 80 year old felt in the film holder! I am going to test for light leaks using paper next time I am at home during daylight hours, as it will be quicker and cheaper than film.

Thanks,
    Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like THIS?
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Mike, those illustrated instructions are great. At least I can be sure the film was loaded the correct way around and the problem was something else.

Ian

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    To avoid light leaks I never remove the darkslide compleatly. Some darkslides have markings so you know how much you should pull them out just to make the film/plate ready for exposure.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin