Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,787   Online: 782

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

glass plates question

Hello,
    I have received some old ORWO 9x12 glass plates that seem not so badly damaged by the time. However I have a problem loading and processing them in the dark. How I tell which is the emulsion side of the plate in the dark? The glass plates do not have notches in the corner.

Thanks is advance for some tips
    Luben

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I bought some new glass plates a while ago (Slavich), I was informed that they were packed in pairs with emulsion facing in.

So the first plate has emulsion down, the second up, the third down, and so on.

What I don't know is if this has always been the way it was done...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Ole,
    My plates are also packaged in pairs. I will check if this principle also applies to them and post my findings here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post

So the first plate has emulsion down, the second up, the third down, and so on.

What I don't know is if this has always been the way it was done...
    I have some Kodak P300 and HP3 plates from the 1950s and both "are packed in pairs with the emulsion coated surfaces face to face."

It would seem that this has been the normal way of packing glass plates for a number of years, I would imagine it is that way so you know how to identify what is the emulsion side since there are no notches.

Regards
    Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just hazarding a guess, but wouldn't the emulsion side have a different look than the glass side? The vintage glass plates I've seen in plateholders have a "yellow" side and then a plain glass side.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    ...or creamy white on the emulsion side, and dark blue on the back. But it's difficult to see that in total darkness!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They look different, but that doesn't help much when you're loading unexposed plates in the holders.

They feel a little different too - but it can be very difficult to tell the difference between emulsion side and anti-halation coating on the back side!
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by karavelov View Post

How I tell which is the emulsion side of the plate in the dark? The glass plates do not have notches in the corner.

Thanks is advance for some tips
    Luben
    Luben,

Many moons ago when exposing sheets of graphic arts film that had been "cut down" from larger sheets I used to place a small piece of one corner to my slightly damp lower lip. The emulsion side will feel slightly "stickier" to the damp lip than the back of the sheet of glass will..... a trick that I was shown by my mentor when he was using 8x10 glass plates

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ken, that trick works well - unless the plates have an anti-halation backing. Unfortunately most plates do.
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The few packs of vintage plates that I've used have all been packed with the plates in pairs, emulsion side face to face as noted above. However I did also get a box of fairly modern Agfa 6.5 x 9 plates & they were packed differently. 10 in the box, top 9 are emulsion side down & the last one is emulsion side up. This was confirmed by an Agfa product sheet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin