Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,827   Online: 1035

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x6 1/2 Plate Holder?

Is there such a beast? And where might one be found? It would be for a British tailboard stereo camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You need to be a bit more specific; there was little to no standardization for early dry-plate holders, so you will probably need to find holders made for your camera.

Are you sure the camera is for a 4x6.5" plates? 1/2 plate was usually 4.75x6.5" (in the dry plate era).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi JG, yeah, I know, but sometimes you just hope for a miracle! I just took some measurements and came up with: aperture 103mmx159mm; slot 130mmx193mm+x10mm (although it looks like 8.5mm would be the thickest that would clear the tensioning springs). There is also a small slot for a rib which would be at about 173mm but since it is on the film side of the velvet, actually right at the end of the film aperture, I'm not sure it was all that important.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    'Postcard' 3.5 x 5.5 inches was a standard size at one time but as the Focal Encyclopaedia says, many non-standard 'usually panel-shaped' plates were used for stereo.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    'Postcard' 3.5 x 5.5 inches was a standard size at one time but as the Focal Encyclopaedia says, many non-standard 'usually panel-shaped' plates were used for stereo.

Cheers,

R.
    Isn't that 3.25"x5.5"? I got a bunch of that size.

Vaughn

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Isn't that 3.25"x5.5"? I got a bunch of that size.

Vaughn
    Dear Vaughn,

That's what I remembered too, but the Focal Encyclopaedia says 3.5 x 5.5 and I guessed that their memory was better than mine. Of course I could be wrong...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hey there Roger!

I thought I was wrong once, but I must have been mistaken. Just re-measued the holders...3.25"x5.5"...but who knows, the plate holders I got may be made to a different "standard"!

Yours, Vaughn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin