Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,134   Online: 1090

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How about this for an introduction to plate cameras ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4622&rd=1&rd=1

Does anyone have views on the above as an intro to plate/LF cameras. It has sufficient movements for my needs and seems OK. The fact that it can take cut film with minimal tinkering aso seems good.. but I would welcome opinions before I dive in .

Thanks ; Chris Benton
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4622&rd=1&rd=1

Does anyone have views on the above as an intro to plate/LF cameras. It has sufficient movements for my needs and seems OK. The fact that it can take cut film with minimal tinkering aso seems good.. but I would welcome opinions before I dive in .

Thanks ; Chris Benton
    This could be a nice collector's camera - for practical use, the 2 biggest problems are 1) the film size is virtually impossible to find and more seriously 2) I would guarantee that the film holders will leak light (although the light traps are probably felt and easy to access and replace). As a user, the camera would be unusual and pocketable, it offers rise and cross front, no lens changing, not very much close focusing, in fact technically it offers little more than a rollfilm folder. However, if the camera has taken your fancy, then why not buy it and use it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That camera is only a 6x9 version which would not be considered large format. Many manufacturers made similar cameras that used the 9x12 size film. Voightlander made the Vag, the Avus, and the Bergheil in order of features. The Vag has a wood body where the other two are metal. I have a nice 9x12 Avus with a Skopar lens.

I would recommend getting a camera set that includes the film holders. They are not all interchangeable between manufacturers.

I also prefer a rim-set shutter instead of the older type shown. But if it works reliably then go for it.

9x12 film comes in a greater variety than over here. You can get both B+W and color from Germany.

I was just out shooting on Friday with my 9x12 Patent Etui. Very compact. It always delights and surprises people when I open it up for them.

Hmmm... I might be interested in selling my Avus since I am using the Patent Etui. Contact me if you are interested. Shipping is a little pricey over the pond though.
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    That camera is only a 6x9 version which would not be considered large format. Many manufacturers made similar cameras that used the 9x12 size film. Voightlander made the Vag, the Avus, and the Bergheil in order of features. The Vag has a wood body where the other two are metal. I have a nice 9x12 Avus with a Skopar lens.

I would recommend getting a camera set that includes the film holders. They are not all interchangeable between manufacturers.
    Would this be more like it then ?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...5466&rd=1&rd=1

Retrophotographic in the UK supply 9 x 12 film and (eye wateringly expensive) plates .
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    6.5x9cm film is not all that difficult to find.

None of my 6.5x9cm plate holders leak light.

These cameras can usually focus down to about half a meter or less, which must be said to be "reasonably close".

But are there film inserts with this camera? No pictures of the plate holders? That film pack holder is useless, pack film hasn't been made in a very long time.

On the other hand, that camera looks to be in very good condition...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post

But are there film inserts with this camera? No pictures of the plate holders? That film pack holder is useless, pack film hasn't been made in a very long time.
    The listing actually states 3 film holders. I don't think a RADA rollfilm holder would be a possiblity, I have had several examples and they were junk!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The listing does state 3 film holders - but these cameras came with plate holders, not film holders. The plate holders can be used as film holders with film inserts, which the listing doesn't mention at all.

I have one marginally usable RADA (for 6.5x9) and one junk (for 9x12).

I also happen to have three 9x12 plate cameras (Rodenstock, Voigtländer Bergheil and Avus) and three 6.5x9cm (Voigtländer Bergheil and VAG, KW Patent Etui). The Bergheils are clearly the best cameras, but they are also clearly the most expensive ones. Especially with Heliar lenses in rim-set shutters---
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The listing does state 3 film holders - but these cameras came with plate holders, not film holders. The plate holders can be used as film holders with film inserts, which the listing doesn't mention at all.
    A 1909 camera would of course have been supplied originally with plateholders, which would have need inserts to take film - on the other hand, if anyone is such an equipment nut that they own 1,500 cameras, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they know the difference between a plateholder and a filmholder!

Best regads,

David

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    David,

the only film holders made originally for these cameras were the film pack holders.

All other film use was with film sheaths in the plate holders.

Owning 1500 cameras is one thing; 1500 unused cameras quite another.

It could well be that "film holders" is intended to mean "plate holders with film inserts", but I would not assume that it is so without asking. Those pesky little film sheaths are rarer than the cameras!
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin