Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,146   Online: 838

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was correct. The sheath does indeed move back as much as the film is thick. I couldn't insert the darkslide when the sheath wasn't loaded, but could with film in it.

What are you doing in the North Sea, Ole? Do you work on an oil rig?
    Last edited by JPD; 06-06-2008 at 09:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If the sheath moves back with the thickness of the film at the top, and not the bottom (I suspect this is the case from the pictures you've shown), you have a "rear tilt" of - whatever, but 0.3mm difference between top and bottom.

I'm on an oil rig yes - "Consultant Wellsite Geologist" is my fancy new title.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    If the sheath moves back with the thickness of the film at the top, and not the bottom (I suspect this is the case from the pictures you've shown), you have a "rear tilt" of - whatever, but 0.3mm difference between top and bottom.
    I thought so too, but theese sheaths have no lips in the bottom corners. No tilt here. I think this drawing explains it.

BUT the sheaths in the 6,5x9 KW-holders I showed before WILL tilt the film almost 1mm. I just got the idea that I can cut away the small lips in the bottom corners. That should remedy the problem.
    Last edited by JPD; 06-06-2008 at 09:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    But if you cut away the lip in the bottom corner, aren't you back to the problem with inserting the dark slide again?

My sheaths have side lips that extend all the way from the bottom to the top, thus moving the film a fixed distance back compared to the plate surface.
    Norway

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Ole;511023]But if you cut away the lip in the bottom corner, aren't you back to the problem with inserting the dark slide again?[quote]No, only the 9x12 holders had that problem.

My sheaths have side lips that extend all the way from the bottom to the top, thus moving the film a fixed distance back compared to the plate surface.
    And you shimmed the focussing screen to compensate?

One good thing with my 9x12 Avus is that the Skopar uses 37mm slip-on filters. I have lots of them, since my RF-Bessa and Ercona II also use this size. I hope I can take my first test shots this week.

I don't have an 9x12 enlarger, so I will make contact copies "for the photo album", and perhaps borrow someones darkroom if I want to make enlargements.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Since I have three 9x12 cameras which can use the same holders, I've shimmed ONE of the GG holders to match the offset.

The Bergheil is "unmodified" - except that it's got a new Satin Snow ground glass. The Avus is shimmed, the Rodenstock is not.

Same with the 6.5x9 cameras - unmodified Bergheil, shimmed VAG. Oh - and an unmodified KaWee Patent Etui, too.
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am having difficulty with not finding thin enough glass to fit into my plate holders, hence me asking - does anybody know where I might be able to obtain the thin (1.2mm?) glass?? (I'm in the London area).

I have been using bits of stiff card. This works, but would much prefer to use glass as a base/packing for sheet film in my dark slides/film holders.

Marcus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin