Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,653   Online: 761

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ilford plates

On a slightly different note, wouldn't it be wonderful if Ilford began making plates again....?

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, just discovered that my two newly acquired holders for my Avus are 3.25" by 4", not 9x12 cm as I thought. So I'll happily take either size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Hmmm, just discovered that my two newly acquired holders for my Avus are 3.25" by 4", not 9x12 cm as I thought. So I'll happily take either size.
    For clarification.. That would be 1/4 plate sized 3.25 x 4.25?

tim , observing for a bit, in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apparently not, actually. The size really is 3.25 by 4. See these for an example http://cgi.ebay.com/2-BOXES-OF-ILFOR...QQcmdZViewItem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm.... Need to see what my 3x4 plate holders really are. What they really are is stuffed with film sheaths.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hollis View Post
    On a slightly different note, wouldn't it be wonderful if Ilford began making plates again....?
    I emailed their product request division a few weeks ago, and without giving specific numbers they said the cost for coating FP4+ or Delta 100 on glass plates would be prohibitive, even for a fair sized group.

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cafeharrar View Post
    ......without giving specific numbers they said the cost for coating FP4+ or Delta 100 on glass plates would be prohibitive, even for a fair sized group. - Justin
    I expect the problem is that the old plate coating lines, which coated 24/7 with shifts are long in the past, and any manufacturer who can still offer plates now is producing them more or less as one-offs. The only answer, if enough people were interested, might be to pool resources and try to recreate a plate coater on a small scale, buying in a ready-made panchromatic emulsion.

There would be a lot of technical problems to overcome, eg washing overspill from the back, and how to involve an anti-halation layer. I expect Photo Engineer could put us right on most of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    I expect the problem is that the old plate coating lines, which coated 24/7 with shifts are long in the past, and any manufacturer who can still offer plates now is producing them more or less as one-offs. The only answer, if enough people were interested, might be to pool resources and try to recreate a plate coater on a small scale, buying in a ready-made panchromatic emulsion.

There would be a lot of technical problems to overcome, eg washing overspill from the back, and how to involve an anti-halation layer. I expect Photo Engineer could put us right on most of them.
    This is just an objective observation, not a criticism...

Judging from the interest response I received, there is not enough interest to have someone else coat these plates in Russia, then ship them piggybacked on a hologram plate order to Ohio or even dropped shipped to California. Hence, finding enough interest to actually set up a small scale coating facility among amateurs is a whole different slippery slope.

I will offer contact information of a very nice entrepreneur in Ohio if someone else wants a go at it. It just seems the level of interest doesn't justify their level of commitment required and I certainly don't blame anyone for this.

What does amaze me is how much interest there can be in Holographic plates.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Multi Format

Home-made Plates

Last breath of life for an old thread, I just tried getting a positive out of some of the 10 x 8" home-made plates we didn't use when we were doing the 'Silver Gelatin' book 13 years ago. I was surprised they scrubbed up so well. It's written up as a news page on the Silverprint site;

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/News05_3.htm

It made me realise that if all the manufacturers ceased tomorrow, we could have a nice little Victorian-technology plate factory up & running quite quickly!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin