Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,604   Online: 805

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

WTF! Please tell me this is wacked?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29

I was looking on ebay for wet plate holders and came up with the above. Please tell me the seller is smoking something. If this is what it costs to get a wet plate holder I may never get into this.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, wetplate was only in vogue for less than 3 decades 150 years ago so original equipment is rare, expensive, and generally not used. You can convert a modern film holder, make or buy a wetplate holder for a lot less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29

I was looking on ebay for wet plate holders and came up with the above. Please tell me the seller is smoking something. If this is what it costs to get a wet plate holder I may never get into this.
    The guy owns it. He can ask whatever he wants. I of course have been guilty of sending messages to Ebay sellers asking them if they had any clue as to the value of their... possessions. I usually get a nasty note back telling me to mind my own business. As is correct.

So no, it's not whacked. Make one yourself, I am sure you can figure out the plans, or have one made. Or wait till a reasonable priced one comes down the pike. It only becomes difficult if this guy actually sells one. Then a benchmark is posted and all Ebay sellers think that they can sell their plate holders for that amount.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe this guy is Mathew Brady VI, and is selling some family heirlooms, who knows? Or maybe he is like the guys trying to sell old, rusty, 6-cyl Mustangs like they are mint Boss 429's or something. Maybe he wants to retire early. Remember the e-bay motto, If you dont like what you see, go someplace else.

Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    The price seems a bit high but there are two of them, and they are genuine antiques, after all. And they are a bit special - not many of them left compared to old dryplate and film holders.

Regards,
    Neil.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pity they didn't sell.

I happen to have a pair of fine old 18x24cm wet plate holders here...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was selling photo stuff on ebay for a crazy hungarian photographic pack rat I'd occasionally get someone who would take issue with an auction price, description or my spelling and grammar. I would always thank them, offer my condolences for their lack of a life and ask if they wouldn't mind proofing the other 24 auctions I was running.
    Last edited by jd callow; 02-05-2008 at 06:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nicely put, Mr Callow!
    Regards,
    Neil

Shooter
    35mm
    FYI, I have never purchased or sold anything on ebay. What I have done is to learn more about cameras (and other stuff), the different types, the different accessories and associated parts and stuff. Sometimes just seeing something will answer questions I may have, and Hay, it doesnt cost me anything just to browse around. It may not work for you, but it works for me.

Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    It works for me too, Paul! It can be a good learning resource, but you have to treat it a bit like Wikipedia - descriptions are written by individuals who may or may not be experts. I bought a lens from one buyer that came minus the rear cell. He said he wasn't to know it was incomplete - he was no expert. Because I treat Ebay like an auction - it is described as such - I work on the principle of caveat emptor/buyer beware, so I didn't whine or complain - I bought it sight unseen and the risk was mine. A lot of people seem to treat online auctions like shops. I don't. I don't expect to be able to complain to the seller before the auction ends, or even afterwards. I should have thought beyond his description saying that he was selling-off all his late fathers gear, that the father was a pro and that as far as he knew everything worked. I should have asked for a picture of the back of the lens. I didn't do any of these things, so I had to bite the bullet.

I wouldn't have the impudence to email someone over their grammar and price - what does it matter? - but I might ask a question to clarify something. Especially since buying that lens! I know I'm not getting a guarantee (at least, none is offered for the sort of stuff I buy) and if I don't like the starting price I don't have to bid.

A little research helps a lot. The holders in question crop up far less often than other holders, and I've even seen decades old 10x8 film holders go for 80 - 100 US, so I'd expect the antique ones to be more expensive. Also, these old holders seem to have been made in a bespoke way to fit individual cameras. I don't think you could reasonably expect to use one as-is with a modern camera. The size and thickness would be different from a more modern film-holder, and the viewing screen would be in the wrong place, so you would most likely have to have a bespoke back made for your camera, complete with viewing attachment. That would bump-up the price considerably! I've seen prices from 300 - 375 US. Just for the back-adaptor. And you have to send your camera (or at least the back part) to the maker so that he can ensure a fit.

Of course, you could make your own back adaptor. If you can do this, you might as well have a go at making the plate holders as well. But if you are going to baulk at a few hundred dollars, you might as well adapt one of your existing film holders to do the job. Then you have to get used to the price of collodion, ether, silver nitrate and salting chemicals. The holders are the least part of it, to my mind!

Regards,
    Neil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin