Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,403   Online: 835

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Did you know these things are addictive?

I wish there had been a warning label!

At Christmas, I inherited my great-grandfather's Bergheil. I don't (um, didn't) shoot large format, but it had a rollfilm back with it. But, geez, that little 6x9 negative hardly uses any of the available real estate, and it's not like it would cost much to buy some sheet film and give it a go, right?---and you see where this is headed...

So the results were OK, particularly when I discovered solarisation. But there are only three film holders, and it's a pain to change out all the sheets, and everyone says the holders show up occasionally on auction sites and so on, so I started lurking for them.

Did you know somebody made a 2x3 springback that fits these cameras? The camera it came mounted on was a low-end no-name with a sticky shutter and a lens that I suspect is crud (f/8 Orionwerk Spezial-Anastigmat, certainly not in a league with the Bergheil's Heliar), but the back is fun, and now I can shoot the 2x3 film that I've got around for Pintoid use. Still wish I had more 9x12 holders, though.

So I lowballed something that was billed as a "Voigtlander Compur" by the seller, since it comes with something like 11 film holders. To my complete surprise I got it; we'll see what it turns out to be.

And in the meantime I'd snagged a Nagel Fordinar, whatever that is, since it has a back that I can't quite figure out but that looks like it might fit on the Bergheil. The original ground glass has a broken corner and maybe I can cannibalise the one from the Nagel.

So I've got two plate cameras in hand, two more on the way, a total of about 20 holders in a mix of 9x12 and 2x3, and my wife wonders what in the hell happened to me and how many cameras are accepted as grounds for involuntary commitment.

Oh, and there's that box of plates, now sitting in a changing bag waiting for me to get a safelight so I can develop them by inspection. Why would anyone want to shoot glass plates at this stage of history, you ask?---and I shrug my shoulders and say, I dunno; I think the camera might enjoy it.

Maybe there's something to that "involuntary commitment" idea.

-NT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ROFLOL
    Only four cameras is not nearly enough for getting commited.
    Wait until someone asks "how many cameras do you own", and it takes you 5 minutes of counting to provide an estimate

I have counter-measures though, my wife has lots and lots of books.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if I don't restrict myself to *plate* cameras, counting is a bit of a challenge. (Not least because I don't know exactly how many pintoids I've made, and I can't decide whether I should count the oatmeal box before all the oatmeal has been eaten.)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Plate cameras seem to breed if kept together in the dark - I had two Bergheils (one 9x12cm, one 6.5x9cm) and a couple of other "small ones" (AVUS, VAG, KaWee Patent Etui et cetera) together in the cabinet. The big 13x18, 18x24m 24x30 and 30x40cm cameras won't fit inside.

But now there's a tiny little 4.5x6cm plate camera in there too!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Wait until someone asks "how many cameras do you own", and it takes you 5 minutes of counting to provide an estimate

I have counter-measures though, my wife has lots and lots of books.
    I have cameras AND books... Is there hope for me?
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect not, I've not found a cure for either affliction, though I haven't been looking very hard. Stay away from antique woodworking tools and bicycles though...

I guess I shouldn't get another 9x12 plate camera, should I keep it away from the 5x7, just in case?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I suspect not, I've not found a cure for either affliction, though I haven't been looking very hard. Stay away from antique woodworking tools and bicycles though...

I guess I shouldn't get another 9x12 plate camera, should I keep it away from the 5x7, just in case?

heh.

Last year I bought a 9x12 ihagee and started coating my own plates ... I had this idea in my head but the limited shift and rise couldn't do what I envisioned. The lensbaby was a little too over the top for what I had in mind (not even sure I like the lensbaby to be honest).

So one day I develop some plates, after they've dried I'm tilting them just so so I can see them as positives which gets my head churning.

Four months later I had a 5x7 camera and by this summer I'll be doing ambrotypes.

I promised the other half this was the end I'd never get another camera evar. Little does he know the new obsession is old brass lenses ...

I'm doomed.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin