Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,569   Online: 1070

Shooter
    35mm RF

1890's PREMO cameras: focus lock ???

I have two PREMO (Rochester Optical Company) folding cameras circa 1895, one is a 4x5 PREMO Senior, the other a Long-focus 5x7. Both are typical brass-bound, leather-covered cameras.

Both are "drop-bed, self-casing" cameras, with rack-geared front focus rail (lens standard slides onto, then clamps to a brass slide, that in turn, has a rack-gear & knob that pulls out of the right side of the bed).

I've shot about six photos with the 4x5, and am pleased enough with the image quality so far, both with color (Portra 160) and B&W (FP-4).

However, if I pull the front standard out, and lock it to the rail with the scale pointer at Infinity, then use the knob to rack the focus-slide out for closer focusing, when I push the knob back in, the bellows tends to pull the whole focus slide back towards the film plane... it doesn't seem like there's a lock on the focus mechanism, or it's not working.

Anybody know "if" and "how" the front focus lock is supposed to work on these things ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try pushing the focus knob back into the bed. I think that's the lock if there is one.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I did try that, but it doesn't seem to lock...

Is it supposed to be a friction thing ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes, its a friction lock...you should swing the little brass tab and it should tighten down the front standard...

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ppo.jpg  
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin