Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,719   Posts: 1,483,129   Online: 1238

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

film holders for 9x12 cm

Hello All:I own a Zeiss Maximar 207/7 and I have an opportunity to purchase some 9x12 cm film holders but I don't know if they will fit this camera.They are Voightlander Bergheil film holders.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolman View Post
    Hello All:I own a Zeiss Maximar 207/7 and I have an opportunity to purchase some 9x12 cm film holders but I don't know if they will fit this camera.They are Voightlander Bergheil film holders.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug
    Hey Doug, the dimensions for a holder that should fit your 207/7 are as follows: 15cm long (not including the darkside) by 10cm wide. (150mm x 100mm). The pull on the darksides may vary in length. You can also verify this by measuring the outside dimensions of your ground glass holder frame.

As far as the Voightlander Bergheil holder sizes, I wish I could help on that specific question. Ask the seller/current owner to give some exact measurements. You should then be able to make a determination based on that information.

Things to look out for: The 9x12 holders of which I'm familiar are designed to hold glass plates (dry plates). If you want to use film, you will want to get plate holders that have the film sheath inserts. On some holders this would be a thin plate that holds the film and slips into the plate holder. Some versions of film sheaths are a real pain to load in the dark. I find the Kodak holders with the drop down frame to be a breeze to load and unload in the dark. But, of course they are not the only make/style, and any holder of the correct size should fit you camera.

My primary cameras are both the Zeiss Maximar 207/7 and the Voigtländer Avus 9x12. The 9x12 Kodak plate holders I mentioned previous are compatible with both cameras. See picture attached. I purchased these through ebay over a period of time. Months. These are recognized by their silver pull tab at the top, which on mine releases the holding frame for film. They are somewhat different in design from the normal film sheath. When buying this type of holder, or any other type of holder, you might want to have the seller determine if they have the frame or a film sheath insert. I have ordered a number of holders where the sellers could not determine it's status, and I ended up getting holders of the wrong size or without the film sheaths. I found that locating the film sheaths separately is a much bigger challenge than finding good 9x12 holders with film sheaths. Another plate holder of the correct dimension is the Zeiss 665/7 (second picture added).

I hope this helps. and BTW, I think you're really going to enjoy your 9x12.
    Last edited by DannL; 09-08-2009 at 12:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    All Voigtländer plate cameras use the same ("Universalfalz") type holders.

So if a Kodak plate holder fits both a Zeiss Maximar 207/7 and a Voigtländer AVUS, then the Bergheil holders should fit the Maximar.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

9x12 plate holders

Hi DannL:Thanks for the detailed info.I'll email the seller at once.I'm looking forward to using this camera extensively.

Doug

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

9x12 plate holders

Hello Ole:Thanks for the information.I;m looking forward to using this camera extensively this year.

Doug

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

film holders for 9x12 cm

Hi Dann:A follow up to your response to my question about holders for this size of film.I recently purchased 5 Kodak holders and you're right they are easy to use but are a bit heavy if you have a significant number of them.I guess you can't have everything.

Thanks again

Doug

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

film holders for 9x12 cm

Hello Ole:As a follow up to your answer to my inquiry about these holders.I recently purchased 3 of the Voightlander holders and they work just fine with the Zeiss camera I have.By the way,do you or anyone you know,have any suggestions on how to remove surface rust from these holders and what kind of paint to refinish them?.

Thabks again

Doug

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Doug,

So far I've only kept the rust in check by keeping the holders dry, and removing any surface rust (flaking stuff that could get on the films) with steelwool.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolman View Post
    Hi Dann:A follow up to your response to my question about holders for this size of film.I recently purchased 5 Kodak holders and you're right they are easy to use but are a bit heavy if you have a significant number of them.I guess you can't have everything.

Thanks again

Doug
    When I carry the 207/7 or a similar sized Voigtländer Avus, it usually goes with 8-12 holders, a handheld meter, filters, lens shade, several cable releases, notebook, pens, lens cleaners, etc bs; in an inexpensive Icon brand camera bag that is only 4"x6"x9" in size. I believe that is smaller than a bread box. This leaves one hand free to carry a serious tripod, and the other hand is free to swat mosquitos. When compared to a Kiev (MF 6x6 with several lenses) requiring several bags that size, or a 4x5 which requires a well-fed pack mule to transport, the advantages of a 9x12 really begin to shine. Pain is not my thing, so I do prefer "small and heavy" over the alternatives.
    Last edited by DannL; 05-19-2008 at 11:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin