Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,204   Online: 863

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mystery camera

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

mystery camera

Hello All:I recently was given what appears to be a 9x12 cm plate camera.The only problem there is no definitive manufacturer markings.What markings I did find are as follows:Lens is a 6.8 130mm CP Goertz DOPP anastigmat syntor,Speeds T,B,1,2,5 10,25,50 100.F-Stops 6.8,9,12.5,18,25,36.Camera is similar in design to a Zeiss Maximar 207/7.

Any information on this camera would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's some basic data about Goerz at camerapedia . .

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Goerz

Not to say that the camera "is" a Goerz. It might be from another company that purchased the lenses wholesale for their own camera production. Places to look for a possible inscription include . . . on the strap, on the bed under the bellows, or impressed lightly in the leatherette material anywhere on the outside of the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolman View Post
    Hello All:I recently was given what appears to be a 9x12 cm plate camera.The only problem there is no definitive manufacturer markings.What markings I did find are as follows:Lens is a 6.8 130mm CP Goertz DOPP anastigmat syntor,Speeds T,B,1,2,5 10,25,50 100.F-Stops 6.8,9,12.5,18,25,36.Camera is similar in design to a Zeiss Maximar 207/7.

Any information on this camera would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug
    No specific knowledge, but what seemed to happen quite a lot in 1920s Germany was that fairly simple camera bodies were produced with no name and fitted by lens makers with their own lenses (Zeiss, Rodenstock, Goerz, etc.) and sold under the lens name (in your case, Goerz). The maker could have been one of the companies that amalgamated to form Zeiss Ikon:
    http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Zeiss_Ikon

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

mystery camera

Hello B. Baer:Thanks for the info.One additional item about this camera.Between the bed rails?,as part of the casting,are the letters CPG overlapping each other.Would this confirm that it is indeed a Goerz manufactured camera?.

If so,would it be difficult to find sheet film and roll film holders for it?.

Thanks again,

Doug

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

mystery camera

Hi Dann:I went back and checked the camera over more closely.Could not find any impressions on the camera case.However, I noticed that as part of the bed for the camera bellows there are the letters CPG overlapping each other and in upper case.Given this,would it further indicate that the camera was produced by or for Goerz?.

On another note,would it be very difficult to find sheet film and roll film holders for it?.

Thanks again,

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolman View Post
    . . ..

On another note,would it be very difficult to find sheet film and roll film holders for it?.

Thanks again,

Doug

As far as film, I currently use Efke PL 100 M 9x12, ordered from Freestyle Photographic Supply.

Look under sheet film . . .
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_main.php?cat_id=40

I am not aware of anyone else in the states that sells 9x12. But, I'm sure other local vendors exist. In a pinch I have cut my own on a guillotine cutter (in the dark of course) from other stock such as 4x5 or inexpensive 8x10, etc. Some holders will accomodate the use of paper negatives, also. Holders can be located via eBay with research, questions to the sellers, and plenty of patience. I would expect a standard 9x12 holders to fit (150x100mm), but measuring the opening on the back of the camera and posing questions to the seller is always best.

To help in searching for holders on ebay try using the generic term of "holders" as a search criteria in the Cameras & Photo section. On occasion sellers will list their holders as "film slides", which I find somewhat humourous.
    Last edited by DannL; 05-10-2008 at 10:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

mystery camera

Hi Marco:Thanks for the site links.One photo of the camera on the first website showed the front design is similar to the one I have.So it is a Goerz.I'm not that particular as to what specific model it is.I'll probably go the the Main Reference Library here in Toronto and look it up in their copy of McKeown's Catalog.

Thanks again,

Doug

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

mystery camera

Hi Dann:Thanks again for all the info.How do you like using the Efke film?.I haven't had any experience with it but I've seen both good and not so good reviews of it here on APUG.What would you recommend as a decent developer for it?.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have only developed some 60 sheets, and don't expect to have a solid opinion until much much later. I currently like the film because it is inexpensive, cut to 9x12 of course, and made available by the finest vendor on the planet. It can reproduce the most subtle of details, including very good detail in shadow. As far as graininess, I guess it would rate average in that department. I get very consistent results using D-76 1:1. When it comes to film, you get what you pay for. This film is not high priced in this format.
    Last edited by DannL; 05-10-2008 at 10:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin