Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,483   Online: 1106

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ian,

Quite right. I have a number of holders--all 9x12cm--from various pre-Zeiss Ikon makers: Voigtlander, ICA, Contessa-Nettel, Ernemann, Nagel (Kodak), and no-name brands. I also have numerous 9x12cm holders stamped Zeiss Ikon with the same numbers as their pre-merger counterparts, and then Zeiss Ikon branded holders with new numbers.

The double-sided pop-off wooden plate holders for my ICA Universal Palmos 275 (9x12cm) are marked 737/6. Those same holders stamped as Zeiss Ikon have the same number even after the merger. So some things changed and some did not.

This thread is as good an attempt as any, but it would be great to pool resources and have a comprehensive database, with photos and measurements, of the various holders and sizes. But who has the time?

Jonathan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Ian,

Quite right. I have a number of holders--all 9x12cm--from various pre-Zeiss Ikon makers: Voigtlander, ICA, Contessa-Nettel, Ernemann, Nagel (Kodak), and no-name brands. I also have numerous 9x12cm holders stamped Zeiss Ikon with the same numbers as their pre-merger counterparts, and then Zeiss Ikon branded holders with new numbers.

The double-sided pop-off wooden plate holders for my ICA Universal Palmos 275 (9x12cm) are marked 737/6. Those same holders stamped as Zeiss Ikon have the same number even after the merger. So some things changed and some did not.

This thread is as good an attempt as any, but it would be great to pool resources and have a comprehensive database, with photos and measurements, of the various holders and sizes. But who has the time?

Jonathan
    I have the time, but I don't have anywhere near a comprehensive collection of holders. ^_^

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose we could begin here on APUG with a posting asking anyone with 6.5x9, 9x12 and larger versions of similar German / European cameras to send details of the film holders and cameras.

The shheer number of manufacturers of the metal folding 9x12 cameras will make it difficult, there's well over 30+, then there's the wooden (often tropical) and other cameras taking similar 9x12 or Quarter plate holders. I guess you'd have to stick to the metal holders as each manufacturer making wooden book-form holders made them to fit specific models and sometimes individual cameras.

We'd need to know edge types and overal dimensions of the holders and what cameras they will fit - in terms of what camera they where made for and also what rival cameras they can be used with.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ian,

I would be willing to offer photos and measurements for most of the metal holders that I have. My collection is in no way comprehensive, but I have quite a few.

When I embarked on collecting these holders (and cameras) a few years ago there was a dearth of information on-line about them. I could find a piece here and a tidbit there, but having a large collection of information in one place would have been a great help. I think photos and precise measurements would be very informative. People often give the part numbers but that doesn't help much without images to go with them.

The question is does someone end up spearheading this outside of the APUG forums or do we rely on one forum thread to contain all the data?

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd suggest putting together something a little more comprehensive which includes the cameras themselves and the variations of lenses which is something I began collecting data for maybe 5 years ago. That would probably need to be hosted somewhere else and data collected from a variety of sources including APUG.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ian,

Wouldn't THAT be fantastic! I am willing to contribute what I can to such an effort. I hate to pass the baton on this, but I just know I don't have the time, at least not now, to be the point person for such an endeavor.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I have thought about possibly setting up a website dedicated to 9x12 cameras, it's only the domain name that would cost anything as I already pay for unlimited hosting and multiple domain names.

However I'm not a serious enough use/collector of 9x12 camera so lets start getting the ball rolling here.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I feel the same way. I love 9x12 cameras and have even been using my ICA Palmos a bit lately, but I am not a serious collector, just a guy with a few cameras and holders. Starting here is as good a place as any.

Jonathan

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Agfa in this thread. I picked up an Agfa Isolar with only one double sided plate holder. I've had no luck searching on my own and would appreciate if anyone could point me to a thread or site that explains how to make a film sheath for the plate holder.

I'd also like to see other Agfa 9x12 owners speak up here. I'm about to start my quest of buying cut film holders off that auction site in the hopes that eventually I'll get some that fit. I'll add some photos and measurements of the lone plate holder I have in another post if anyone is interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually the number of manufacturers not mentioned is huge there were well over 50 companies making 9x12 cameras

Welcome to APUG BTW, teh best source of plate holders and film inserts is ebay.de login etc is identical to any other ebay portal but items often don't map across to the British or US portals.

Ian

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin