Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,892   Online: 1004

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you sure the camera you saw was of the Kodak Premo series? Your description sounds like a 6.5x9cm or 9x12cm German plate camera made in the 1910-1940 period. It used a slide-off single-plate/cut-film metal holder, or slide-off film pack, AND could be also used with a slide-in 120 rollfilm holder.

Zeiss/Ica, Voigtlander and many others made many of these, and the one you saw MAY have been made by Nagel, but BRANDED KODAK. Kodak contracted with Nagel to make a folding plate camera in the above sizes called the "Recomar" model.

They are fairly affordable, and are often found with an uncoated but fairly sharp Tessar lens or similar clone. If you're interested, check eBay for the more common camera models like "Maximar", "Avus", Reccomar", etc. Suydam, Rada, Rollex (sp?) and others made Euro-plate rollfilm holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    ...Now I've personally seen roll a film holders that was basically clones of the AAR fit into the backs of a camera with very similar construction to the Premoette Jr. by sliding into the back of the camera exactly where the pack film was intended to go. I briefly met a guy who worked in a camera shop in Ohio a few years back who pulled this off with a larger variation of the Premo series (maybe the senior model, it was bigger then the Jr.). This would all be a lot easier if I actually knew the guy and could contact him to ask him how he did it. Anyway, the camera was larger then the Premoete Jr. and I believe he actually used the 4x5 AAR but it fit. He did need to remove the back door of the camera as with the AAR attached it of course did not close. For all I know he may have modified the AAR as well. Now I have no idea if or how he modified the camera to ensure that focusing was correct and that the camera was light tight but it did work by sliding into the back (and was not held in place by tension springs or a focusing back) and it took great pictures.

Now I understand he used a different camera and I believe a different size (and possibly modified) AAR all with different dimensions but what I do know is that the camera was of the same make and overall design (all Kodak Premo-series cameras were basically the same design just different sizes and dimensions) and he made this work. Remembering seeing this done is what started me on this idea with the Premoette Jr. in the first place. So we do know that although the AAR is designed to operate and be held in place a certain way that is not the only way that it can work. This entire discussion is about making something work in a way that it was not intended to and its based on past evidence that similar components of the same make can indeed operate outside of how they were designed so lets not work ourselves into a box. Its an experiment so we need to think outside of the intended operation of the components we're working with and if it works it works and if it doesn't it doesn't but after the fact at least we would have tried, learned, and we would know for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found 4x5 Mamiya 120 film back adapter on fleapay for $45 and I am in th process of "adapting" the adapter to one of my old six-16 bellows cameras. Instead of tring to find an old AAR why don't you go that route, unless you just have to have one.
    Last edited by guitstik; 07-19-2010 at 04:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I found 4x5 Mamiya 120 film back adapter on fleapay for $45 and I am in th process of "adapting" the adapter to one of my old six-16 bellows cameras. Instead of tring to find an old AAR why don't you go that route, unless you just have to have one.
    Thats a really good idea. Let us know how that works out for you. I can see that working for a six-16 camera because they are on the larger size but the Premoette Jr. is tiny. There's no way an adapter back made for 4x5 would be able to fit the Premoette Jr.'s tiny 4 3/8 x 2 7/8 (outside dimensions) and 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 (film area) without chopping it down to nothing and I don't think Mamiya makes a 2x3 adapter back (but I could be wrong).
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin