Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,890   Online: 994

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's some links for making your own screen.

Photonet
    no photos unfortunately.

Maybe better.

Or this one.

Hope that helps.

Ian

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I have some Agfa glass plates that are ideal so I stripped off the emulsion, now they need cutting to size and grinding
    That's a very good suggestion. Old glass plates have the right thickness to fit the Voigtländer gg holder.

Avus instruction manual:

http://66.49.230.119/voigtlander_pdf...ander_avus.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a box of old Agfa scientific plates no idea what they were for, and can't remember where I got them, I just opened the box in the end in daylight and they deteriorated bdly anyway. Tey are the perfect width for the one 9x12 which is missing a screen, I think approx 9 x 28 cm, so I could get 2 screens out of each plate. I'll make spare glass inserts for my Durst enlargers at the same time. As a penniless student in the earky 70's I made some from FP4 plates. There still perfect

Not sure how different in size the focus screens are compared to 9x12 plates. I'll check next time I'm in the UK.

Ian

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Avus screen is 89,7 x 138mm and a 9x12 plate is 89 x 119.

From the manual:

In case the focussing screen should get broken take particular care to remove all splinters of glass from inside the camera. The screen frame is taken in both hands with the screen turned to oneself, and by means of the thumbs the broken screen is pushed away to the open side of the frame. A new focussing screen is easily inserted in a similar manner.

the focussing screen has a smooth shiny side and a grained side (matt). This is the side which should always point to the lens. In extreme cases when no new glass can be obtained an ordinary unexposed photographic plate will serve temporarily very well for the purpose. Here the emulsion side must face the lens.

Always see that the corners of the glass are slightly cut away to allow an escape of air out of the bellows when closing the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, I recognise that guy!

Quote Originally Posted by kavandje View Post
    Sadly, while the bellows, lens and the movements are OK, the shutter (dial-set self-cocking Ibsor) is not, and the ground glass/back lid has split into two.
    By "split into two", do you mean that the two frames have come apart, leaving the ground glass itself free in between?

My Avus came with the same problem, and I haven't really been able to work out a satisfactory solution---the frame seems to have been held together with plugs of solder used like rivets. The most promising approach seems to be to drill these plugs out and use the resulting holes to wire the two halves of the frame back together, but I think the results will be dodgy at best.

In the meantime, I've just been holding a ground glass against the back. I should try to put shims together to get it positioned a little more precisely. I'm considering sacrificing a plate holder for a long-term solution; cut out (most of) the back of the holder, leave the darkslide off, and leave a ground glass in it in place of a plate. (Actually, maybe I can make this work with one of my ninety-seven film-pack holders instead.)

Is it possible, while I try to repair the original shutter, to fit the lens into (e.g.) a Compur or Prontor I have lying around?

Or should I try the whole shutter/lens assembly from an old Nettar or Isolette?
    I'd try the latter. The Voigtlaender shutter can be unscrewed fairly easily; I don't know if your existing shutters will fit in its place or cover 9x12, but you might as well try, right?

There seem to be quite a few of these old Voigtlaender cameras knocking around (in Europe, especially), many of them with Skopars. If you can score one of these with a bad bellows, it shouldn't cost much and you could switch the shutter over easily.

The camera came with no film or plate holders; while I forage for some, is it possible, without butchering the camera itself, to fabricate a way to use standard 4x5 film holders?
    I don't think so. I looked pretty hard at this possibility when I got my first plate cameras; there are springbacks around for use with 2x3 or 3x4 holders, but I haven't found a way to use 4x5. Pity, since it would greatly expand the choice of emulsions.

[...] the external release lever seems to engage a small pushrod, which in turn moves an internal shutter release lever (This shutter's designer is basking in a Special Hell). The pushrod's connecting screw is stripped. Suggestions for repair?
    Can you post a picture? (I know you don't do d*g*t*l, but maybe you can get someone to take it for you...)

-NT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As Ntenny correctly surmised, the frame is indeed in two pieces, the solder/rivets having separated. The ground glass is 'free' in the sense that it isn't there at all...

I've been asking around if anyone has any of these to give away / sell as a parts camera, but so far nothing.

My girlfriend is a goldsmith, and quite an accomplished metalworker, so I'll see if we can figure something out.

We're also, once I have a replacement shutter, going to have a look at repairing the original shutter's innards, perhaps even improving it, and we'll be documenting the process.

But yeah: a Skopar-equipped junker with a working shutter would be the solution to the front half of my worries...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm working on the lens/shutter. I have a possible contact for junkers, I'll email him tomorrow but there's no certainty he'll have anything at the moment. I'm a back short too, and a finder, and ultimately a lens/shutter for my 3rd 9x12, but that one's bottom of the pile. However I'll be happy to just start using my 2 good ones for now, but unfortuately there in the UK.

Will PM if I find something.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm also casting about, thus far with no luck, but with a few potential leads. There are a lot of old cameras lurking around in peoples' closets on farms and suchlike, so I will keep looking.

It has crossed my mind to fabricate a new ground glass holder out of brass, which can be soldered. I'll take some measurements, see about finding some brass, and get busy with the snips and the dremel...

Shooter
    35mm
    Should you find a 9x12cm FILM PACK ADAPTER, these can be easily made into ground glass backs by gluing a chunk of glass inside. As Film Packs are long obsolete, film pack adapters are often sold for even cheaper than plate/film holders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are quite common on Ebay, I've seen a lot lately. It makes total sense to start with something thatb fits & works.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin