Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,152   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Best 9x12 folding plate camera to start

OK, I'm seriously thinking to try a 9x12cm folding plate camera but it looks like there are a zillion different types out there. I narrowed it down to a Zeiss Ikon or equivalent because people say it's more easy to get the holders. Now what about the different lenses? Which one is the best or which one is best avoided? I would like to get some info on how the holders work too, I suspect the procedure of using one is very much like a viewcamera (I've already used a Cambo 4x5inch)? or am I mistaken?

Since I'm not very familiar with this kind of camera I rather planning to buy one on a camera fair because there I have the opportunity to test it and see if it's in OK shape (unless somebody here has one in OK condition to sell ). Anything to look out in particular?
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The best, IMO, is a Voigtländer Bergheil. The ones with Heliar 150mm f:4.5 lens tend to sell for less than half what the lens alone would bring. It can be used like a (very small) view camera, or like a simple box camera: The choise is yours.

The Zeiss maximar is more common, and almost as good. Same with the Voigtländer Avus, Alpin and VAG.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of the manufacturers offered a range of options, usually with different lenses & shutters. Top models usually have a Compur or Ibsor shutter with a full range of shutter speeds, while the bottom end models have a 3 speed shutter. Likewise lenses vary from Dagor's, Xenar's, Heliar's, Tessar's etc to cheap and nasty triplets with a variety of indifferent anistagmatic lenses in between.

Often the lenses are the weak link as they are all uncoated, my Ibsor & Compur shutters are still remarkably accurate despite being over 70 years old.

9x12's are usually quite cheap, plate/film holders are easy to find but there is some variation, so make sure you find which type fits. Don't be fooled into thinking all Zeiss 9x12 cameras take the same film holders they don't. Remember Zeiss Ikon was an amalgamation of a few German camera companies.

The glass focus screens are quite poor but Belgium is now famous for exporting Glass focus screen so contact Geert for a better one

Good luck, let us know what you buy.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mhhh, I'm tempted by a Voigtländer Bergheil with a Heliar 105mm 1:4.5 lens although it's only a 6.5x9cm. I will see how high it goes. Any idea how easy it is to get holders for this size?
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If it's urgent, I think I could spare a few holders for that camera.

BTW, I've got one of those too - but with a 120mm Heliar.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get a 9x12 you can use a Rollex 6x9 back which takes roll film which is easier to get & process.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mhhh, good thinking Ian. Would indeed be the same then. It's not urgent, it's just something that went trough my mind after using a cambo, but a cambo itself is way to big to carry around so I think a 9x12 will be the best solution in terms of portability. I'm gonna look around some more, the next fair here in Belgium is at the end of this month so it's worth waiting a little bit and have a look there. With the current digital market I assume there is plenty of choice in this camera type and there will be people there who know at least some more then me .

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Goose View Post
    Mhhh, I'm tempted by a Voigtländer Bergheil with a Heliar 105mm 1:4.5 lens although it's only a 6.5x9cm. I will see how high it goes. Any idea how easy it is to get holders for this size?
    I have one plus twelwe holders. The 105mm Heliar is excellent. Psuedo-3D-results and nice "bokeh" at large apertures, and very sharp stopped down.

I needed to make my own viewing screen and adjust it to focus correctly, though.

I recently bought a 9x12 Bergheil with 13,5cm Heliar, and have yet to test it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just one more thing, what is the common price of a Zeiss Ikon Maximar or Voigtländer Avus in good working condition? I would like to have an idea how much I'm gonna be ripped off .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darn you guys. This is really bad timing for such a thread
    Now shut up
    Well, now when its out in the open, how easy are the holders to achieve and are they plateholders with cutfilm adapters?
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin