Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,047   Online: 1191

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice looking camera, good film size & beautiful design. Looks like something Apple would have made if they were doing cameras in the 1920s.
    I'm presuming that it can take roll film back as well as glass neg holders & cut film holders?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes the cameras will take a Rollex 6x9 back, I have a couple, there were also film pack holders available as well. A previous owner has marked the glass for 6x9.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not sure if I have ever posted before..and really I only just recently noticed this plate camera section, which was nice to find seeing how I have a few myself. So I hope you dont mind my adding to your converstaion.
    Its a lovely camera Ian .

I am sure you also know they were also made with Red, Blue, Grey and Brown leather as well although not at all common in those colours. I do believe the 9x12 were sold with a wide variety of lens shutter combinations Helioplan, Unofocal, Trioplan, Triotar, Isconar, Xenar and the Tessar's you mentioned..and i am sure a few more other basic lens also. also they were sold with Vario, Isbor, the compur's you mention as well as the compur rapid apparently (no doubt in the late years, although i havnt noticed one).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 6x9 version I bought in Prague in the late 90's. They are beautiful little cameras, though I can't remember ever using it. Maybe its about time to dust it off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastigmatic View Post
    I am not sure if I have ever posted before..and really I only just recently noticed this plate camera section, which was nice to find seeing how I have a few myself. So I hope you dont mind my adding to your converstaion.
    Its a lovely camera Ian .
    It's actually your first post, so welcome to APUG.

Yes there were a wide variety of similar 9x12 cameras, some sharing common parts, made mostly in Germany, and it was common for manufacturers to offer models with a variety of lenses & shutters. The best shutters were the Compur's and the less common Ibsor which is self cocking and very similar to the later Press Prontors.

One problem today is that a few 9x12's have had the lens & shutter replaced, so for instance you can find a Zeiss Ikon with a Rodenstock Eurynar lens, Zeiss never fitted competitors lenses to their cameras.

However the Etui's are quite unique due to their size & design, maybe I'll buy a 6.5x9 like Patrick's one day. But I don't think the smaller version has the same advantages over it's competitors as it needs a bulky roll-film back compared to other roll fim 6x9 cameras of the same era.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    However the Etui's are quite unique due to their size & design, maybe I'll buy a 6.5x9 like Patrick's one day. But I don't think the smaller version has the same advantages over it's competitors as it needs a bulky roll-film back compared to other roll fim 6x9 cameras of the same era.

Ian
    Ian you just reminded me of why I haven't used it. With the roll film back it is double the size. It is just easier to use one of my Bessas.

By the way, I love the Eurynar as well. I picked up an uncoated 135mm f.3.5 a couple of years ago. It is a beautiful lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frank, 9x12 film is readily available in Europe. Ilford, Foma and EFKE all sell 9x12 film it's a European standard, modern Universal 9x12 dark-slides (film holders) have the same outside dimensions as 5x4's.

Ian
    Ian,
    Am I reading you correctly in that I could use a 4x5 holder on a 9x12cm camera? If so, where do I sign up for less weight in backpack? My Gowland 4x5 monorail is about 2.1 pounds (just shy of a kilogram).
    Chris
    Last edited by cdholden; 10-23-2008 at 04:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use 9x12 or 5x4 Double dar-kslides on any modern 9x12 or 5x4 camera as the outside dimensions & film plane register are identical.

Unfortunately the pre-War 9x12's are quite different, there's not even a standard plate holder, I have at least 5 different types which aren't totally interchangeable some are but others not at all

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Frank, 9x12 film is readily available in Europe. Ilford, Foma and EFKE all sell 9x12 film it's a European standard,
    True, but I don't live there. I do use EFKE since a supplier over here stocks it.

9x12 plate holders are very common and can easily be adapted for film. What surprised me was the Patent Etui takes the most type
    Over here they are hard to find; I spent a year buying as many as I could. The average cost was close to $8 each, and as you know, it only holds one sheet of film.
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Ian,
    Am I reading you correctly in that I could use a 4x5 holder on a 9x12cm camera? If so, where do I sign up for less weight in backpack? My Gowland 4x5 monorail is about 2.1 pounds (just shy of a kilogram).
    Chris
    Sorry, but this won't work on these old plate cameras.

BTW: Most of them only had front rise and shift but no other movements. If you are happy with that, you can still buy a 9x12 for a reasonable amount. Just make sure you buy one with filmholders. There were few standards back then and many were different. They really are small compared to even a Gowland or a Speed Graphic.
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin