Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,149   Online: 885

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like a great camera, I'd love to see the back, possibly with a holder in it. Great pictures of what appears to be a fantastic travel camera.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's actually your first post, so welcome to APUG.

Yes there were a wide variety of similar 9x12 cameras, some sharing common parts, made mostly in Germany, and it was common for manufacturers to offer models with a variety of lenses & shutters. The best shutters were the Compur's and the less common Ibsor which is self cocking and very similar to the later Press Prontors.

One problem today is that a few 9x12's have had the lens & shutter replaced, so for instance you can find a Zeiss Ikon with a Rodenstock Eurynar lens, Zeiss never fitted competitors lenses to their cameras.

However the Etui's are quite unique due to their size & design, maybe I'll buy a 6.5x9 like Patrick's one day. But I don't think the smaller version has the same advantages over it's competitors as it needs a bulky roll-film back compared to other roll fim 6x9 cameras of the same era.

Ian
    Hi Ian, thanks for the welcome (was my first post-i didnt realise)

Sorry, I probably should of made myself a bit clearer but I was trying to say that the Etui 9x12 (depending on its year of manufacture) was offered with all those different lenses (from a catologue). No doubt some lens/shutter combinations sold in greater numbers than others though, as a result some of those lens/shutter combo's may not be seen commonly.

I agree as well with the 6.5x9 size, cute little cameras (all the various brands) and with a roll film adaptor quite usable (can still get sheet film for that size too of course). and if its a double extension model camera then they have an advantage or two (almost macro type pictures can be obtained). however I too find in most instances I would rather just use a pre-war 6x9 roll film camera for ease of use and size.

On the roll film adaptor's; I have Rada roll film backs for 9x12 and 6.5x9 camera, but I find I cant fit the smaller Rada back onto metal bodied 6.5x9 pre-war folding plate camera. Timber/wood (holtz) camera's will fit the rada back, because the slot on the camera back flexes the small amount needed. Has anyone had/got both a rollex (i think thats the brand) and a Rada in the smaller size to compare the flange (?) thickness? (the thin edge of the roll film back that slides into the camera) Is the rolex thinner?

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastigmatic View Post
    I do believe the 9x12 were sold with a wide variety of lens shutter combinations Helioplan, Unofocal, Trioplan, Triotar, Isconar, Xenar and the Tessar's you mentioned..and i am sure a few more other basic lens also.
    That makes the Patent Etuis fun to collect. I saw a 6,5x9 with a Plaubel Supracomar 3,9/10cm on german eBay recently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    That makes the Patent Etuis fun to collect. I saw a 6,5x9 with a Plaubel Supracomar 3,9/10cm on german eBay recently.
    Indeed JPD! fun to collect and use! if not just to see the difference between the lenses and what they are best suited for. The ZW Etuis are not alone with these offerings of different lenses though, many of the other makers of plate cameras had simular offerings with their cameras (i have enjoyed collecting and using my own favourite brand with a variety of lenses, but i dont want to impose them on Ian's thread), with perhaps Voigtlander and as Ian mentioned the Zeiss brand having good but more limited choices of lens selections, sticking to their own lens offerings of course.

actually there was a very nice brown Etuis just sold in the UK for a very reasonable price with film holders and extras, albeit a 6.5x9 version with tessar. I considered bidding myself but ....lol where does it end hehe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far I've only ever come across one Patent Etui not fitted with a Tessar or the cheaper Meyer Trioplan on a few 6.5x9's. Can you scan the catalogue page showing the different lenses available.

One major problem with the 9x12 Etui is the overall size of the lens is critical or the case won't close

Curt, I'll take some photo's of the back later today.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, what a lovely little camera.

FWIW, there's a 6x9 on ebay (U.S) right now; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220251806936

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually it's a 9x12 There are 2 or 3 6.5x9's in Germany as well

Unfortunately Ebay's worldwide search isn't very good at checking every flavour of Ebay. It's useful to know your Ebay Log-on details are exactly the same whether you use Ebay.com, .co.uk, .de .fr .it etc, also your watched items show up on any Ebay site.

Here's some images to indicatethe camera's size. The first shows a 5x4 Crown Graphic, Ikonta 521 (6x4.5) and the 9x12 Patent Etui.

As you can see it is very significantly smaller than a Crown Graphic.

And here's the back for Curt, sorry I didn't bring any holders to Turkey as my luggage was already over-weight

Lastly plate holders that fit, I posted them in an earlier thread.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ian, thanks for the comparison - that really is a small camera. Wow. Indeed looks like an ideal travel camera!

Antje

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    So far I've only ever come across one Patent Etui not fitted with a Tessar or the cheaper Meyer Trioplan on a few 6.5x9's. Can you scan the catalogue page showing the different lenses available.

One major problem with the 9x12 Etui is the overall size of the lens is critical or the case won't close

Curt, I'll take some photo's of the back later today.

Ian
    you will have to take my word for it Ian. That is unless it only counts if you have seen it

As I am not keen to bend the pages on a scanner, not to mention these were difficult to get, expensive and unfortunately delicate; I have already had one page fall out.

With these Patent Etui there is a 6.5x9 model with built in rangefinder as well which you may find interesting (still looks quite streamlined), not sure at the moment if it was available in 9x12 as well.

Also another that appears to be a specific model Patent Etui for export.

In addition it appears there were single and double extention models but i will have to double check my translating to comfirm, but it seems to read that and the pricing reflects differances .

Cheers
    A
    Last edited by Anastigmatic; 10-24-2008 at 11:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Ian, it looks like it takes dedicated holders that slip in and they look very thin, someone really had the think cap on when they designed this camera. I wish some of the old designers of yesterday were here now to design some great cameras. I hadn't heard of the Etui before you posted yours, have a great time with it.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin