Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,186   Online: 1186

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Was the Tessar re-designed around 1930-31

I ask this question for good reasons. The Compur shutter's changed from Dial-set to Rim-set and became standardised, that standard is still with us today with the standard shutter sizes.

But how did the Tessar lens design change, did they change the glass used in the elements. I've noticed that older Rim-set Tessars seem to have better contrast, and are less prone to flare. I should add that's based on visual observations and practical use not scientific measurements, and only based on the 5 or 6 LF Tessar's I own.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    According to several sources I checked, the modified triplet, four element three group Tessar formula has remained the same since first calculated by Rudolph, ca. 1901.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Tessar was redesigned repeatedly, all the way from the original patent to around 1980.

Whether any of these "tweaks" affected contrast and flare, I do not know.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The Tessar was redesigned repeatedly, all the way from the original patent to around 1980.

Whether any of these "tweaks" affected contrast and flare, I do not know.
    I agree with that, but it appears there may have been a big re-compute / re-design in the early 30's. Optical glass had changed significantly allowing much faster lenses like the f2 Summar etc.

Ian

One major recomputation for 35mm was between the Contaflex Super and the Super D
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Part of the Zeiss combine was the glassmaker Schott, who worked hand-in-hand with the lens makers. New glass was developed to satisfy new designs, new designs promoted new glass types.

Zeiss design was evolutionary. Since the marketing department never ran the company, the lenses were usually the best they could be in any era, and small improvements were normal. They might not show up in patent literature, for the Tessar patent was, as Kingslake described it, " extremely general ".

My newest Tessars, souvenirs from a winter in Prague in the '90s, are almost unbearably contrasty.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin