Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,808   Online: 685

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Ian,

I had one inquiry on my Bergheil, but the deal fell through. They are not very common on EBAY in 9x12 size, so I have been hesitating to list it. Definitely would be nice if someone was using it, because at the moment I have so much with my working cameras that I don't see myself making any use of it; so for now it is a dust collector.

I am not entirely sure about the one holder I have for my Bergheil, though it seems to be a glass plate holder. However, after looking at several other examples, I am thinking it might be some sort of pack film holder. There is an open slit in the top when the clamshell is closed. I think if a glass plate was in there, light might interfere. However, if there was a filmpack in this holder, then I could see that the slit might make it easier to use. It is finished like the camera, though it does not state Voigtländer anywhere on it, despite that it perfectly fits the camera.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Ian mentioned Im in the 9X12 part of the world and I plan to use it with 9X12 film and maybe play around with some liquid emulsion on glass plates.
    Are all the holders for these cameras plate holders with inserts?
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Gordon, only pack film holders close like a clamshell. Plate holders are very thin, and have a small sprung catch to hold the plate in place. With the darkk slide in place there are no openings.

Søren - the film inserts can be difficult to find. Then suddenly there are lots on the market, before they vanish again. The same inserts fit all holders, but the majority of holders you find are without them.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the plate holders need inserts for film, and it's rare to find them sold together as Ole says, I've never come across any. The 9x12 plate holders I have all grip the glass plates by the top and bottom (short) edges, the inserts hold the cut film by the long edges.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ole for the confirmation. I definitely have the old 9x12 pack film holder. However, it did not come with any inserts.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    perhaps a few pictures will make it clearer...

its easy for people to get mixed up between the different named parts, more so if they havn't seen them before; which are basically four different things shown here, in these pics; plate holder, film or often called sheath holder, film pack holder and lastely the film pack itself

pic 1 shows a plate holder with a glass plate negative inserted, the darkslide for the plate holder is to the right.

pic 2 shows the glass plate being removed, acheived by inserting your finger at the top and downward pressure against springs in the botton of the plate holder. doing that frees it from the top and can be lifted out easily

pic 3 shows a film sheath/holder being inserted in the plate holder.

pic 4 shows it fits in by the same manner in which you would insert the glass plate negative. by inserting the bottom first against the springs in the plate holder

pic 5 shows, which is now in effect become sheet film holder (and the darkslide being inserted. unless you want to use glass sheets any time in the future the sheaths never need to be removed again. the sheet film slides in under the edges of the film sheath.

pic 6 shows the film pack holder (bottom) with its darkslide inserted (mentioned as a clam shell earlier on). and (top) a film pack that has not been used (all the tabs that can be seen)

pic 7 shows the film pack inserted in the film pack holder ready to be placed in the camera ready for use.

the film pack holders have little to no use nowadays. the film packs are no longer available. even though on ebay people list pack holders for sale! they may as well give them away
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plate holder1.jpg   plate holder2.jpg   plate holder3.jpg   plate holder 4.jpg   plate holder 5.jpg  

film pack holder1.jpg   film pack holder2.jpg  
    Last edited by Anastigmatic; 11-12-2008 at 08:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastigmatic View Post
    the film pack holders have little to no use nowadays. the film packs are no longer available. even though on ebay people list pack holders for sale! they may as well give them away
    Not quite true, some people convert film packs holders into focus screen holders etc, but that is all they are useful for now.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    well that would be why i said 'have little use' instead of 'have no use' .but thanks anyway. probably able to count on one hand the people that do use them for that though, just not as ergonomic, pleasent or as nice as using the real thing,but if ya got no choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin