Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,786   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Packfilm holder for Voigtländer Bergheil

May not be the exact right forum but since the Bergheil was original a plate camera Ill post it here.
    Does any one know anything about the Voigtländer packfilm holder?
    When was it introduced and how does it work?
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There were various fit 9x12 Pack film holder, they must have been introduced in the 1920's (Perhaps earlier) as the 1930 adverts for Patent Etui's mention they take plates, film packs and roll-film holders.

The holders themselves are very simple, similar to 5x4 film pack holders, there's a couple of patents that show how the packs themselves work, I have a PDF somewhere. Unfortunately no company has made film packs for quite a number of years.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So one need films in packs like readyloads or Polaroid packs. Is it possible to DIY something usable?
    Damn seems like Im in the market for some Voigtländer plate/cutfilmholders
    Kind regards

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The packs were quite different to Fuji Ready loads or Polaroid, the exposed sheet of film is returned to the pack after exposure. The DIY load yourself equivalent is the Grafmatic film backs.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The grafmatic??
    Kind regards

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Grafmatics are film packs with metal septums that hold each dheet of film. Unfortunately not made in 9x12 though.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah I know. Gotta find me some plateholders and sheaths then.
    Kind regards

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In theory, you could get 9x12 film, find some old filmpack parts, and assemble them. However, I think you might find that lots of film gets destroyed in the process. Perhaps just some 9x12 film holders, and use your Bergheil one sheet of film at a time?

I also have a 9x12 Bergheil. When I got it there was a glass plate holder (I think) and an adapter to use 4x5 film. I don't know if the 4x5 film holder adapter was a common accessory, but you might try finding one of those, because it will fit modern 4x5 holders and film.

You can see many more images of my Bergheil at http://www.gordonmoat.com/Bergheil/ and see the adapter. I included the Shen-Hao as a comparison in size, because the Bergheil is really small compared to a modern 4x5.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use my Bergheil(s) with plate holders and sheaths. Or RADA rollfilm backs.

Or even packfilm holders - I have a few old packs left. And a couple of packs of glass plates.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gordon, didn't you manage to sell that Voightlander !!!

There are inserts for all 9x12 plate holders to take film, they do come up for sale on ebay and Ole posted a link to a site selling them (I never had a reply to my email).

There were adaptors made in the US to adapt a 9x12 to take modern 5x4 double darkslides, this has to include a new focus screen as the film plane is shifted back from the original. There is reprted to be a semi-retired camera repairman in the US who still makes these adaptors.

Søren, you're in the right part of the world to find plate holders, search ebay.de remember your Logon details are the same for any Ebay site.

The plate holder film conversion insert is just a simple piece of black painted metal with edge folds to hold the film and I plan to make my own on my next trip back to the UK.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin