Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,391   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Converting a Brownie #3 to Wet/Dry plate

I'm sure this has probably been covered before, but I can't find it.
    Can someone tell me how, or direct me somewhere that tells how to modify a Brownie Box #3 camera to wet/dry plate? I suspect it's not too difficult. Yes?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No modifications per se are necessary for a box camera. Just cut your glass plates to the size of the film gate and voila! you have a wet plate camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    No modifications per se are necessary for a box camera. Just cut your glass plates to the size of the film gate and voila! you have a wet plate camera.
    Have you tried putting a wet-plate into an unmodified Box Brownie, they are designed for roll-film

Yes it might work but in a very impractical way as the camera has to be taken apart to change each plate.

You'd need to make a whole new section to hold a plate holder light-tight, there are far better cameras to start from.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I modified a Brownie last year for wet plate. THe Flying Camera is right in that you just cut the plate to the size of the opening, put the wet plate in the camera in the darkroom and then run outside to do your exposure. But, one change I did make was to cover the metal on the back of the camera with electrical tape so that the wet plate emulsion will not touch metal and react with the metal. Wipe off the tape completely between exposures so you don't contaminate the new plate.

The Brownie is a great little camera for learning wet plate. All the basics are covered. The only problem, which isn't very big given the portability of the camera, is you have to carry the entire camera in and out of the darkroom.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Put a coat of varnish all over the inside. This will protect it from the silver nitrate. Box brownies make great wet plate starter cameras. I think the #3 is a perfect fit for 1/4 plate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys.
    What exactly are the dimensions of quarter plate?
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Have you tried putting a wet-plate into an unmodified Box Brownie, they are designed for roll-film

Yes it might work but in a very impractical way as the camera has to be taken apart to change each plate.

You'd need to make a whole new section to hold a plate holder light-tight, there are far better cameras to start from.

Ian
    Ian- I have shot wet plate in a box brownie before. Loading/unloading the camera is no more inconvenient than loading/unloading the holder, because the cameras are rather small relatively speaking. I just make sure to wipe down the surfaces that contact the plate between uses, and all is well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    As Scott said, Brownies actually make great little wet plate cameras.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post
    What exactly are the dimensions of quarter plate?
    3.25 x 4.25 inches. Have fun!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Another thing that has not yet been mentioned is that you are probably limited to shooting only tins/trophy aluminum. Glass is probably to thick and won't allow you to close the camera. Maybe others can confirm this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to concede Scott & Bill are right, personally I wouldn't potentially ruin a good Box Brownie for what I'd see as quite an inconvenient camera, however I think you'd be able to get the glass inside OK and the camera closed.

However they have convinced me that it's possible, which is what the OP was asking, with no modifications to the camera.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin