Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 992

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Andy--it seems like you've got some ideas that are at odds with one another. Super lightweight 8x10 and wet plate don't exactly go together. Maybe you ought to consider buying an old half-plate camera and using it for wet plate. If you find one with bookform holders, all you'll need to do is varnish them for wet plate work. As you go up in size with wet plate--*everything* gets bigger--camera, silver tank, darkbox, etc. As Bill mentions, the camera size is only one element. Do you really want to be messing up a $3K Chamonix with wet plate work? Do you really need all those movements with wet plate? Because most photographers use very limited movements for wet plate. Limited depth of field is part of "the look" and if you want something along the lines of selective blur--it's usually done with a big Petzval lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Agreed, and wetplate is so slow that it usually involves big lenses with huge, heavy glass. A 13" f/4 Petzval intended for whole-plate (won't even cover 8x10) is just a monster lens. Yet, you need it if you are trying to get exposures near 1-2 seconds in average daylight conditions, on a good day. If where you are going is windy, expect some blur. The camera for it will need to be robust with strong standards, and that usually means heavy too.

I'm about to buy a Speedotron Blackline system for the 9600w/s flash head. I understand that light might let me stop down a little and still get away with one pop. I might take down the grid around here :o but it might make f/5.6 possible. Imagine all that extra depth-of-field at f/5.6 with a 13" lens. :rolleyes:

As far as the 8x10 mod, the three cameras you mention might not be ones Wayne would consider adapting. From his website: "I have been contacted by several people to convert modern cameras to wet plate. I will not do this. I will only work with the wood frames cameras of old."

I don't know about Ray since he does mention something about a Cambo conversion on one of his pages. You should probably ask him to be sure.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Andy,

I just noticed that Steve Silipigni at Black Art Woodcraft is now taking orders for wetplate cameras as well as other equipment. Several posters to the collodion forum really like the portable darkboxes they have obtained from Steve so I suspect you might also be pleased with a custom camera from him.

Joe

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    For high quality wet plate cameras and accessories take a look at C.C Davis Cameras. www.daviscam.com
    Last edited by RobertP; 12-28-2008 at 04:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

A recent Davis camera

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    keep your eyes out for a "pressure plate" style holder. they were designed to hold film very flat. i use it for shooting glass and aluminum plates. i have a 5x7 and an 8x10. they slide into a regular spring back. they look very very similar to a regular film holder. no modifications or new camera needed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3343.JPG   IMG_3344.JPG  
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Eddie, that looks like a fantastic idea!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ray at Star Camera makes complete new copies of vintage "wet plate" cameras at reasonable prices. You would only then need to have a sheet film back adapted to one to have the capability to shoot both mediums with a brand new camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could you give me some advice on this, I was eyeing this up on ebay yesterday. Its a complete kit. Considering I want to make aluminotypes sometime would the holders work for this or are they designed exclusively for glass plates? or do you just buy a thickness of aluminium that is the same thickness as the glass? I'm thinking of maybe going on the Photographers Fomulary workshop in the summer maybe even though it's going to mean flying from the UK!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=310133020600

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jarvman, You don't need to travel so far. Contact Carl Radford in the U.K. http://www.carls-gallery.co.uk/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin