Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,919   Online: 795

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

A modern wet plate camera?

Sorry, I just realized this post belongs in this forum, not the other one I posted in.

I am new to the wet plate collodion process, and I am trying to find something that may not exist.

I would like to find a modern, possibly brand new, camera on the market that can be modified to shoot both wet plates and sheet film. I would like to shoot with an 8x10 camera (nothing larger), in order to get full plate, half plate, possibly 5x7 or 5x8 plates, and 8x10 film.

My goal is to have a very rigid camera that is also fairly lightweight. If I have to remove the capability to also shoot film, then that isn't a big deal. But I travel to areas where weight is a major issue, and every pound saved is a good thing. I am also in windy situations, and a modern rigid camera is what I would like to have.

I don't anticipate using more than a 300mm or 360mm lens, but I will need to be able to focus somewhat close to do heat shot portraits. My preference would be to do fully length body shots, head shots and environmental portraits at a distance. Some rise / fall would be nice, but no other movements are needed.

Any thoughts? I have noticed that some people have modified their 8x10 film holders to accommodate a tintype plate, which looks cool, but I wonder if there is something better out there that might already be on the market.

Thanks so so much in advance.

Andy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Your best bet is to contact Wayne Pierce or Ray Morganweck (Star Camera Co.) to see if they will build a wetplate back and matching holding for the 8x10 film camera of your choice. A dedicated back and holder will be much easier to use than a converted film holder and will also minimize damage caused by silver nitrate to your host camera. The wetplate back and holder will take most of the damage instead.

Links to Wayne and Ray are on the resources/links page of my wetplate article.

Another member of the www.collodion.com wetplate forum has recently started building and selling half-plate wetplate cameras, but I don't recall who that is. A check in the classifieds there will turn up the source though.

Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the info, Joe. Looks like Wayne is a great option if I am interested in converting a modern, wooden 8x10 camera. Thanks again!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a pair of wetplate backs/holders at home: The entire camera back is swapped with the wetplate holder - one is used for the GG, the other for the prepared plate.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sounds great, Ole. Was that a custom job that was done on a modern film camera?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Andy, they are old ones I got along with a set of 18x24cm plate holders for an old camera. The wetplate holders didn't fit that camera, but the dryplate holders did - and that's what I was really after. I assume the wetplate holders are authentic wetplate-era wetplate holders, and that the dryplate back was the custom upgrade!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am looking for a solution for a modern camera that I have yet to purchase. I have many cameras on my short list, and if I can get one modified that is great, but my ideal scenario would be to find a manufacturer of a camera that makes a wet plate variant of a film camera. Older cameras are great, but I need something very rigid, lightweight and packs up as small as I can get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andybiggs View Post
    I travel to areas where weight is a major issue, and every pound saved is a good thing...I wonder if there is something better out there that might already be on the market.
    Hi Andy, Considering the darkbox, trays, plates and chemicals you're going to have to carry with you, camera weight is going to be the least of your worries. I think Joe's suggestion of Star or Wayne Pierce is your best bet. You'll also have to send your camera to them so they can adapt the back to your specific camera. As for anything on the market other than those already suggested, I know of no other manufacturers currently or in recent history that make anything for the wet plate process.

BTW - I think Joe has plans for darkbox/cart combinations that may help you get to more remote locations, but that may still be a challenge in the areas you have plans for. Good luck!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Andy,

Another thing to consider is that Wayne or Ray will only do work on certain cameras. IIRC, the adaptation needs to be done on a classic wooden view camera. They have no interest in working on a modern view camera as I understand it. You may wish to contact them before making your purchasing decision.

Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do you suspect that they would be interested in working with a modern wooden / metal camera, like a Canham, Chomonix, Wisner or something similar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin