Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,080   Online: 907

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    These are metal cameras and the parts are painted or chrome so there's no shellac used.

Ian
    FWIW, although the finish is not shellac (like wood camera), you should be aware the leather is adhered using shellac, even if the body is metal...as is the card (old version of mdf) that is often used on front of the front fold down bed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might find that setting it in the sun for a bit frees up the gunked lubricant. Always test a spot with any other solvent prior to use. I have often used 99% alcohol for cleaning old cameras, except the leather bits. A good leather cleaner is a better choice or sometimes you can get away with using skin cream on leather parts of cameras. Cotton swabs are a gentle way to apply solvents and cleaners, and soft lint free cloth is another excellent choice.

I sold a Bergheil not long ago, but I made sure it was clean prior to shipping it out. I don't understand someone selling something without doing a little cleaning. At the very least, dust should be knocked off of the camera, and a simple wipe down of all parts should be common practice.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I wouldn't waste good beer cleaning up a camera

IPA - India Pale Ale

Ian
    Yeah, that was my thought
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Yes drink the good beer and use Weissbier for the cleaning
    Weissbier for cleaning? You're joking!

(My 84 year old grandmother mocks me and tells me I'm drinking "girly beer" whenever I enjoy a hefeweizen or something similar... but hey, I also like a good bitter IPA).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah, I was a bit pissed off actually. I bought it because it was represented as clean and in excellent condition (and photographed with nice flattering light), and I wanted a nicer body than the really rough one that I've already got. Paid over $100 for this stupid thing. Seller just said "Sorry man... I have a lot of stuff to sell and don't have time to look over it all very carefully. You can have free shipping next thing you buy."

Right.

Anyway thanks for the tips. I picked up some camp stove cleaner and I'll do some carefully cleaning with ear cleaners and stuff when I can find some time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    I sold a Bergheil not long ago, but I made sure it was clean prior to shipping it out. I don't understand someone selling something without doing a little cleaning. At the very least, dust should be knocked off of the camera, and a simple wipe down of all parts should be common practice.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin