Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,275   Online: 1084

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    Planning on getting into dry plate usage. Had purchased a 7X17 plate holder that needed some repair. Completed it recently, but hesitant on using such a size for my 1st foray. So looking to pick up a couple of 4X5s to practice coating - pre-packaged liquid emulsion for now.
    Btw, Denise, enjoyed your article in CIM; and your site is very helpful.
    Thanks! David Vickers did a great job of putting that issue together. CiM is a valuable resource. I hope David and Christopher keep at it for many years to come. And, I'm very glad The Light Farm has been helpful.

About your 7x17. There's no need to go full size or buy extra equipment when you're learning the ropes (or any time for that matter.) I always test one or two 4"x5" plates first in whatever size camera I'm using. If you keep your eyes open, you can find format adapters. Whole plate or 5"x7" to 4"x5" are most common. My 6"x15" pano camera has a 5"x12" reducing inset that I mainly use. To test, I set 4x5 spacers on the left and right sides. This leaves exactly the right size space for a 4x5 plate between them, right in the middle of the focusing area. This lets me test the focus and exposure under the same conditions as I'll use for a full-size plate. I use 4x5-to-quarter plate adapters, but either uncoated glass plates or balsa wood cut to size would work as well.

Best of fun to you,
    d

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Hi All,

I know this forum is primarily about equipment, and I love to collect stuff as much (or more) than the next person, but are we using our cameras? I'd love to start talking about what we're doing with our babies, not just what we're collecting for them. I thought about starting a plate camera social group, but that could bury the lead. I'd like for newbies to APUG and old-timers thinking of branching out to know easily where to join in the conversation. This forum seems like the logical clubhouse.

So... I shoot dry plates with 4x5, 5x7, Whole Plate, and a 6"x15" panoramic. I just got an old B&J studio 8x10 that needs lots of TLC with a set of plates holders in great condition (I told you I liked to collect!). The beast is huge and heavy, so it won't be making it out into the field. My pano is a lot lighter and I still have to haul it around in a red Radio Flyer wagon .
    DO you have a source for dry plates or are you making your own emulsions?

Anybody else like to tell us what and how they shoot? I know there is wonderful wet collodion work being done.

d
    DO you have a source for cry plates, or are you coating your own emulsions?
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you look at her website you'll discover that Denise makes her own emulsions & coats her own plates

She also behind a website devoted to dry plate making & similar processes "The Light Farm" which is well worth visiting.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll also second the fact that you can spend many happy hours mooching through Denise's website - it's a veritable resource on plate photography!
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    If you look at her website you'll discover that Denise makes her own emulsions & coats her own plates

She also behind a website devoted to dry plate making & similar processes "The Light Farm" which is well worth visiting.

Ian
    Actually the idea of coating glassplates with either homemade or bought emulsion was the reason I got my Bergheil in the first place. I saw some work done that way when in Vrå early last fall. Though I havn't got any 9X12 plates right now that is still my goal. I do however have access to some 9X9 glassplates som maybe I should have a look in "Primitive Photography"
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Actually the idea of coating glassplates with either homemade or bought emulsion was the reason I got my Bergheil in the first place. I saw some work done that way when in Vrå early last fall. Though I havn't got any 9X12 plates right now that is still my goal. I do however have access to some 9X9 glassplates som maybe I should have a look in "Primitive Photography"
    Kind regards
    OK, that cinches it. I'm starting a piggy bank for a trip to Scandinavia. You all seem to be a center of some really great plate photography.

Ian and David, thanks for the kind thoughts. I always hope people enjoy reading The Light Farm as much as I'm enjoying putting it together.

d

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Kind regards
    nice of you to mention my place!
    and by the way: did you know, that I have a camera that takes 9x9 negs?
    The only one I have seen in this format...

So come here, and we can give it a try..

(We cut our own glass plates, and use FOMA emulsion on them..)

I have a lot of different sizes cameras, and I have to pull my self together and actually use more of them than I do now!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually the idea of coating glassplates with either homemade or bought emulsion was the reason I got my Bergheil in the first place.
    That was the reason why I bought my Ihagee Duplex 9x12. I've been making dry plates with ready made emulsion and, I have a Rada roll film back for it. It was my first foray into large format photography and, quickly became one of my favourite cameras to use. I haven't tried wet plate with it yet, unable able to figure out how to modify a plate holder.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    No, I can't use my Century 1909 full plate camera because the three roc plate holders are too large, and the lenses for the 5x7 cameras haven't come back from the repair shop.
    Maybe if I buy another or two....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    nice of you to mention my place!
    and by the way: did you know, that I have a camera that takes 9x9 negs?
    The only one I have seen in this format...

So come here, and we can give it a try..

(We cut our own glass plates, and use FOMA emulsion on them..)

I have a lot of different sizes cameras, and I have to pull my self together and actually use more of them than I do now!
    Yes I do, that monstrous SLR we played around with one night, remember It was when talking about those Jazz portraits by ...(ahh forgot his name ) I decided to go for the Bergheil ( should have known better than to mention it to you though )
    BTW Youre welcome Emil Ill mention Vrå Højskole as often as I can as I think you run some great photoclasses up there.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin