Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,581   Online: 884

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i wouldn't let the holders stop me from buying or using it, actually i think it is somewhat of a bonus to have the holders, more often than not thats the thing that is hard to get..however it does appear as Jim says that modern holders may fit this camera as well so there is chance you could pick some up cheap somewhere..otherwise you can still use film in these, just put the film in first and then a piece of 2mm glass cut to size to hold the film firm and flat. you can substitute glass for some other material so long as it is firm and flat but 2mm glass is easy to get hold of.

not the holders but the shutter/iris is what would cause me the most concern, not that i have seen it as you have or tested it to hear if it is operating reasonably nicely. if it is then good but if not then seeing how you are near Flutos it would be worth dropping in (or giving a call) and asking if (she? for some reason i thought Flutos was a woman) she can overhaul one of these shutters (if it needs it) or can fix the loose aperture blade. These shutters IMO are a little more finicky to repair if you dont know what your doing (no oil in the pistons etc) but if they are working then they are fine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anastigmatic, the fellow has put the film then the metal frame thing (shown in thumb nail) to hold film down.I'm thinken if that is good enough to keep film flat and would it be in registration with the ground glass for the focus plane. I'll have to call to Flutos (Fluto is deceased ,his Daughter I think run it now) or Ed Grimes for the low down on the shutter,which could be costly.

mike c.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do those two cylinders on each side use oil,marvel or singer oil?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i havnt updated my old screen here so its hard for me to see detail...but the frame looks to have a large rebate, big enough that would take the thickness of a glass plate. So it appears that if you put sheet film in the wooden holder first and then the metal frame the film would be loose, unless you put the frame in upside down. if you put it in upside down it would not be in line with the GG but would probably still take OK pictures because the DOF would probably cover. However, using it properly, for better results, it would be designed for the glass to be placed first in the wooden holder and then the sheet film on top of the glass and then the metal frame to hold the sheet film (i said it back the front before, meaning that the film placed first in the metal frame and then the glass plate in the metal frame then the whole thing placed in the holder).

thats how it looks to me atm, if however the frame does fit the film and hold the film flat (not placing the frame upside down) without the film being loose in the holder then it is a holder just for film. just that the rear septum of the wooden holder doesnt look that flat to me on my screen so it looks like it would be designed for glass plate...either way you are able to use film in these holders.

NO, the shutter is air operated, i mentioned oil because it is a common mistake that people lube the pistons with oil and it destroys the shutter. if it is working then it is one of those things best left alone, if it needs servicing then someone that is familiar with them is best

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see your point about the film holders thankyou. So to trip this shutter you have to use an airbulb release cord.Or are the pistons controling the shutter speed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    there are many different designs, but it looks like that one can trip either by hand or preferably by air bulb, attached to the one piston and the air will escape from the other. the pistons do also control the speed.

you should give it a try when you look at it next, you can make a not too fancy bulb release to test using a cheap lens lens cleaning blower (removing the brush part) and a length of tube (i.e. from local pet store for fish tank air pumps, only cost a few cents a meter)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you very much Anastigmatic, you have been very helpful to me. this camera is a little different than my Hasselb. and speed graphic.

mike c.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    your welcome Mike, check the shutter operation though but for the right price its well worth it, having holders is a blessing. nothing like a blad and it wont have the performance of the speed graphic either but using vintage/antique camera is very enjoyable and a welcomed change of pace..kinda like you have to contribute more to the painting of the final image if you want a certain look but other wise it will give its own unique rendition anyway...if you use glass plate just for a change to sheet film it can give the camera a duel purpose as well. get some glass cut and paint them with liquid emulsion (commonly available) for a different look again! good luck with purchasing it...all things being well i hope you can come back and show something you have used it for

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin