Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,998   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pony Premo No. 6 5x7: Date?

I've just picked up a Pony Premo No. 6 5x7. The attached pic is not my camera, but is identical in detail.

It was made by the "R.O. & C. Co" (Rochester Optical and Camera Co.) I know from reading the history that this firm was formed by the combining of five companies in 1899, and sold to Kodak in 1903. Thus that is the vintage.

But I've seen various pictures of the Pony Premo No.6, with different structural details, so I'm curious whether this was an earlier or later version within that time period. By suspicion is earlier, as I've seen a Premo by a predecessor company that looks similar. But I wonder if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks,

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PonyPremoNo6.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul I'm looking to buy about the same thing as you show in your post,can't find any dates anywhere. It is in beautiful shape with 6 excellent 5X7 wooden film holders ,a I'm trying to figure out how much money to offer him. 81/2" homocentric 1:6.3 lens,Ross ,London no 61338 ,Premo shutter, aperture has one blade loose. can any give me any comments about this camera,I intend to use this camera not collect.

mike c.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mike ,Mckeowns lists it at around $100-$150, so i guess you can go from there, with holders is a nice bonus, the homocentric lens were quite expensive i think compared to other lens offerings, perhaps double the price. i think those lens were introduced about 1903 ...not sure if any of that helps?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it does,I'm still wondering if they can be used for sheet film or were they designed for glass plates only. the holders have lit tin frames in them,are they for holding down sheet film or to place glass plates? Some one has put film in them but I do not know if that is correct? thanks for the replay Anastigmatic.

mike c.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i'm not familiar with the holders for those but in almost all cases you can find a way to use sheet film in in a holder that was designed for glass plate, the 'tin frames' may well be septums/sheaths to adapt to sheet film...its hard to tell without seeing a picture of them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks if I get a chance I'll try and post some pictures, it is a sweet camera and in very good shape for its age. Shutter sticks a little and the one aperture blade needs to be fixed, I am thinking of taking it to Flutos since they are very close to where I live. I'd sure like to have it ready by November when the Tanopah work shop starts.

mike c.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pony Premo No 6

Here are the pics of the camera I wish to purchase, I'm hoping that these film holders can be used with regular sheet film and camera all so. Can anyone tale me based on these pics I would be grateful.

mike c.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5x7 film holder.JPG   Homocentic lens Ross.JPG   Pony Primo No 6.JPG  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mike, it appears that those are plate holders. Also appears that perhaps this camera has the same config as modern 5X7 film holders so maybe all you'd have to do is find some film holders. I think I'd reserve the right to return it if that turns out to not be the case. Maybe someone else knows for sure.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    here's what my Pony Premo # 6 4x5 looks like :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pony premo #6-8867-.jpg  
    Lauren MacIntosh
    When one's life Ends, then one becomes Life's history !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks jim the fellow who owns it know has sheet flim in it right know with the hangers holding the flim in, I don't think he has used it like that but he says that is how it works.Hello Lauren, that's a nice one,do your holders use glass or film and do they have those metal frames in them?. I wanted to use film not glass.

mike c.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin