Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,128   Online: 841

Shooter
    35mm

Source for 9x14cm Plate Holders for Ica/Zeiss "Nixe" Folder?

I recently bought an Ica "Nixe" folder, which uses 122 "postcard" rollfilm and also has a removable back to accept a plate holder.

I orginally thought it was for the somewhat uncommon 10x15cm format, but checking with the ZICG Zeiss list experts, and also later confirmed by a few Google hits, my Nixe apparently takes a scarce 9x14cm holder.

A 9x12cm Maximar holder fits my Nixe perfectly, EXCEPT it is about 3cm TOO SHORT... I suppose a talented welder could weld two cut-down 9x12 holders, but that is way beyond my talents..

Anyhow, any suggestions for sources for 9x14cm holders? I can't find any loose ones on eBay or Google. My Ica Nixe is a very well-made camera and I'd like to use it. It is currently lensless, but I'm going to pick up a 15cm Tessar or Dominar for it, as they are fairly common.

Thanks from Leigh in Santa Barbara, Calif., USA.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just a qualified guesstimation: if the 9x12 holder you already have (I assume) fits well, why not take it into a shop and have somebody to copy the 9x12 design but make it as long as it needs to be?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    Jerevan, I think making a new 9x14cm would probably be much more expensive than finding a used serviceable one. Making a typical metal Euro-style plate holder probably requires a lot of specialized sheet metal-working equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can get someone to cut two 9x12 holders accurately enough, it'd be possible to solder the parts together maybe, but the metal is too flimsy for welding. A good soldering iron (temperature controlled solder station) with a large tip will get the job done (remove the paint first). It'd need some reinforcing strips of metal added to the back, too, so it would look a bit ugly. I think cutting the holders to size would be the awkward aspect of the job. I'd look for someone with some engineering contacts and ask nicely if they have any ideas - take a couple of holders, you might be fortunate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Apkujeong, I've got a 100 watt soldering iron for electronics, but I don't think it would work for soldering ferous sheet metal. I think ferous materials would require greater heat.

But I may attempt a similar idea: with two cut-down 9x12cm holders and some reinforcing strips help in place with small pop rivets, and lots of black tape, I might be able to "kluge" together a 9x14 cm holder. I have several 9x12cm film sheaths, and by taking off the ends, should give enough support for a 9x14cm strip of cut-down 5x7" film.

Now I just gotta make time for another project...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, 100 watts sounds promising, I managed with a 50 watt (electronics) soldering iron. I had to take apart some 726/7 holders, and re-solder the joints (the velvet light seals had failed).

If you scrape the metal clean and shiny, and use an oversized tip you should be able to do it, I think. Other thing you can do if you find you are lacking a bit of heat, use two soldering irons at once. Sounds a bit odd, but it works (really, one in the left hand, one in the right - just clamp the item being soldered securely). The first time I tried to solder a plate holder back together it failed because I had it locked in a metal clamp - which acted as a heat sink. Cladding the jaws of the clamp with some cork stopped that, and it worked ok.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin