Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,122   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How do I develop pack film?

So I bought this camera, and it came with an old pack of Tri-X (I don't know exactly how old). Some was already used, or at least the tabs were torn off; for the heck of it, I shot the rest and am now ready to develop it and see what I got.

How does this work? Can I open the pack *holder* in the light, or does that too have to take place in the dark? And since there are 16 sheets in there, which is more than I want to do as a single stack, can I take some out and close the pack back up, still lightproof?

I'll be tray processing, and I know to be careful about the glued-on paper; I just need to know how to get the film out of the pack!

Thanks

-NT
    Last edited by ntenny; 07-06-2009 at 08:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity about what I'm asking
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Handle in complete darkness. The sheets are thin-like 120 film. They were developed in sheet film hangers and deep tanks in the Dark Ages.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

NO LIGHT WHATSOEVER!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As above, total darkness only. We used to soup a sheet at a time in a tray of straight Dektol, for two minutes. They were a pain in the "nek" because they were so flimsy; but it was even harder to get the @#$ stuff into a hanger. WE had a light-tight closet, so we must have kept the film pack in there after it was opened. Tell ya the truth, it was so long ago I don't remember..
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It was possible to "rob the pack" of a few sheets, process them, and continue shooting the unexposed sheets, but since you've shot the whole pack, it's not worth reassembling. Just take a couple of sheets and process them to check your processing time, since the film is old, and then process as many sheets as you can comfortably handle in a tray. Keep the rest of the pack in a three-part film box or other dark place in the meanwhile

When you remove the sheets from the pack, they will have paper stuck to them. Try to peel the paper off as cleanly as possible, otherwise it can float off in the developer or elsewhere in the process and make a mess or get stuck to the film.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    One aspect of "The Good Old Days" best left in the past.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have a few packs in the freezer. I really miss Verichrome Pan. It was the best, wish Kodak still made the stuff, even in 120. Processing pack film is a pain, I always seem to end up with a few "floaters" of paper in the tray or tank.
    Last edited by mhcfires; 07-09-2009 at 04:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling error…
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Last edited by studiocarter; 07-17-2009 at 01:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: link

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Are you looking for a permanent residence, or a place to upload images so you can dish out some links?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I have a web page and am trying to share pictures of equipment and instructions and don't want to host them myself.
    that was one, there are three others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin