Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,110   Online: 900

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    looks like asweet lens/rig.

wet plate holders open like a buook and then you put the plate in. dry plate holders act and look more like film holders. you can use ry plate holders for wet plate you just need to do mods of some sort....not as easy to use as WP holders but hey, it gets you going.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That mirror thingy - are you supposed to put a contact print in the wooden uppermost section, then view the image by looking into the mirror? That way, the image will be reversed (corrected).

Just a guess.

David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For the life of me I cant think exactly how they are meant to be used at the moment, it was ages ago I last saw one, but you on the right track. They are used for touching up negatives and or prints and making it easy to view and work on them..exactly what, goes where (and if it is right side up), eludes me for the moment!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the mirror was for capturing sunlight and directing it to properly light the subject being photographed. the wooden part is either part of a stand for it or for making it so the "subject" doesn't squint - chances are good this was still when they used to clamp you into a chair to take your portrait.... maybe not that early, but still, it took a lot of light to make an image with those cameras, even with all the advances made by then - a whopping 20 or 30, maybe 40 years of 'modern' photography at the time or somewhere in there. Check out some photo history books to get some ideas of how mirrors were used for lighting. People used all kinds of contraptions for it but most of them redirected the sun.
    Tim Flynn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The retouching stand (the mirrored thingy) was used with the glass plate set into the middle frame and the mirror faced toward a window. The upper portion shaded out room light. In effect it was a pre-electric light-box. The plate was then augmented with graphite to increase density- allowing more sharply edged highlights, etc.

I've used a method proposed by Jim Galli to successfully clean old, uncoated lens glass. I take the glass and immerse it in a bath of warm water with a good swish of dishwashing liquid. Leave it in there for 15-20 minutes, take it out, rinse and gently dry with a very clean cotton or linen cloth. It beats lens fluid and rubbing every time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still haven't got round to doing anything with this stuff yet .... been too busy accumulating more gear !
    Must concentrate on doing more photography, not collecting it.
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That Dallmeyer portrait lens needs using Bill

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't make me feel any more guilty Ian !

Off to the auction rooms again tomorrow where there's a juicy Sanderson 1/4 plate waiting for me .....
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    Large Format
    Stop buying gear. USE the stuff! ;-) dont fall into the trap, no more gear...lots of gear is bad...so says the guy whose wife has stated that I am in an intervention moment. :-)

Enjoy the art, beautiful finds.

./e

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 77seriesiii View Post
    Stop buying gear. USE the stuff! ;-) dont fall into the trap, no more gear...lots of gear is bad...so says the guy whose wife has stated that I am in an intervention moment. :-)

Enjoy the art, beautiful finds.

./e
    Wise words...
    Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin