Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,888   Posts: 1,520,748   Online: 1103

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I suggest going with the Blackjacket. Check out the website which is pretty informative. I have tried the horseblanket type which is OK but you need a clamp or velcro on the camera or something else to really keep it dark. I tried the BTZS which is OK but the elastic is too tight on some cameras and the thing is a sauna in the summer and a humidifier in the winter. I bought a Blackjacket and was impressed by the overbuilt quality. I have not been able to use it a lot yet, but I like it best so far.
    Jerold,

I have heard a lot of good things about the blackjacket, but I'm a bit worried about futzing with the sleeves. I like a cloth that simply has velcro along the bottom that can be opened up to get my loupe to the ground glass. The Harrison that Richard mentioned seems to fit the bill as it has a bit of elastic around the camera opening that provides a little tension, but the opening size is adjustable with velcro to fit various camera sizes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Jerold,

I have heard a lot of good things about the blackjacket, but I'm a bit worried about futzing with the sleeves. ...
    Jim
    I had issues with that too, but in the end I concluded it was OK. The sleeves are loose, drape like. No different in principle than dealing with the loose edges of a conventional dark except that the Blackjacket does not dangle open or flap in the wind as much. It has an adjustable shock cord to secure around the camera. That is better than velcro which can wear out and attaches annoyingly to camera cases etc. It is better than elastic because it does not torque the camera during on/off and sometimes mess up focus. Also, the cinch cord makes it easier to use with multiple cameras or formats than elastic types.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I made an elasticated darkcloth for my 4x5 camera then realised all I'm doing is making a simple skirt with an elasticated waistband. It's incredibly simple to sew and fast if you have a sewing machine available to you. Just need to decide on a cloth that is right for you. I'd go for a black cotton drill fabric.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I had issues with that too, but in the end I concluded it was OK. The sleeves are loose, drape like. No different in principle than dealing with the loose edges of a conventional dark except that the Blackjacket does not dangle open or flap in the wind as much. It has an adjustable shock cord to secure around the camera. That is better than velcro which can wear out and attaches annoyingly to camera cases etc. It is better than elastic because it does not torque the camera during on/off and sometimes mess up focus. Also, the cinch cord makes it easier to use with multiple cameras or formats than elastic types.
    Jerald,

Good points that I'll consider. Thanks for taking the time.

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    I made an elasticated darkcloth for my 4x5 camera then realised all I'm doing is making a simple skirt with an elasticated waistband. It's incredibly simple to sew and fast if you have a sewing machine available to you. Just need to decide on a cloth that is right for you. I'd go for a black cotton drill fabric.
    Thanks Heather,

Your're right, it is just a skirt and rather easy to make. Just don't have a sewing machine. Thanks for the reponse.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Thanks Heather,

Your're right, it is just a skirt and rather easy to make.
    Jim
    Time for a visit to your local thrift/charity store?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Found a Harrison cloth that I bought several years ago that I had forgotten about after buying my small lightweight one for the 4x5. The Harrison cloth works fine on the WP camera.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin