Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,253   Online: 740

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Focusing Cloth for Whole Plate

I need to find a good focusing cloth for my Seneca whole plate camera. Most have an elastic cord around one end that attaches to the camera back. Manufacturers normally make cloths for 5x7 and 8x10.

Any help on deciding which would fit better?

What are you whole plate shooters using?

Thanks,
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a piece of old red velvet curtain and died it black, 33 years later they are beginning to fade

It's no big deal, format is almost irrelevant, find some material and make one that suits you and your camera.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Ian. I'm not much of a sewer, so I generally am willing to spent a little bit of money to get something functional. I will be using the camera outside mostly so I need a cloth that attaches to the camera to deal with the wind.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    I'm not much of a sewer, so I generally am willing to spent a little bit of money to get something functional.
    Find a local fabric/haberdashery store - You should be able to purchase a yard or two of velvet (or other suitable material). Take the opportunity to chat to the staff, and chances are, you'll find one that is happy to put a hem along one edge.

Thread a length of 1/8" elastic cord through the hem and then use a spring toggle to adjust the tension to suit.

You might find a mom'n'pop curtain store will also be able to oblige for a minimal fee - Say a print of the store and staff

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    "I'm not much of a sewer"
    Isn't a sewer the pipe where all the liquid waste from your house goes?
    Do you mean that you are not much of a seamstress?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sewer: one who sews
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sewer%5B2%5D

hi jim

i just use a big piece of felt or black canvas
    it is cheep at a fabric store,
    it is helpful if it attaches to the back of the camera
    but if you drape it, and gather it at the bottom with your fingers
    it works well too.

a t-shirt works well, as does a jacket or pretty much anything that can block the light .

sounds like a beautiful camera, have fun!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the do-it-yourself tips. You folks are much more resourceful than I am.

I am trying to avoid black as I photograph mainly in the southwest US and it's generally too hot to hide under a black cloth. I'm looking for a silver outside/black inside cloth. Yes, I know I can make one of those, too.
    Let's just say I'm lazy and don't want to exert the effort to fabricate my own cloth. I'm really just trying to find out what size cloth to order pre-made. I'll just call a couple of the manufacturers.

John, thanks for saving my literary butt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a big fan of Harrison Classic Silver darkcloths, they're nice and reflective in the sun. I think the 50x54 inch size could work well for your camera. http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...t_detail&p=670

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage View Post
    I'm a big fan of Harrison Classic Silver darkcloths, they're nice and reflective in the sun. I think the 50x54 inch size could work well for your camera. http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...t_detail&p=670

Richard Wasserman
    Thanks Richard, I'll check into it. How does this cloth attach to the camera?

Jim

Never mind...I answered my own question.
    Last edited by Jim Cole; 07-10-2009 at 09:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I suggest going with the Blackjacket. Check out the website which is pretty informative. I have tried the horseblanket type which is OK but you need a clamp or velcro on the camera or something else to really keep it dark. I tried the BTZS which is OK but the elastic is too tight on some cameras and the thing is a sauna in the summer and a humidifier in the winter. I bought a Blackjacket and was impressed by the overbuilt quality. I have not been able to use it a lot yet, but I like it best so far.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin