Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,694   Online: 874

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zeiss Ikon part numbers, and fabricating a GG back

Hello everyone,

I don't have enough quixotic projects already, so I'm thinking about trying to build a ground-glass back for my Kodak Recomar 18 (a 6.5x9 plate camera made by the Nagel factory). It takes Normalfalz holders (equiv. Millionenfalz? I can never remember), like a Voigtlaender or most of the house-brand German cameras of the same era.

I haven't been able to find an intact GG back to fit, but there are some 6.5x9 film-pack holders floating around. Most of the ones I'm finding are Zeiss Ikon products, and as we all know, ZI used a bunch of different holder/back standards. I'm trying to decode their part numbers.

So far I've found alleged 6.5x9 pack-film backs numbered 728/2, 668/2, and 688/2, as well as unnumbered (and a few associated with cameras, but I don't really want to spend the extra money for a camera carcass). First off, I'm a little worried because I had thought that "/2" was always 6x9, but leaving that aside, which number corresponds to which back standard?

I think 728 is the "fat lip" version that fits the Maximar. The others both look like they *could* be Normalfalz, but surely with different numbers, at most one of them is right...Any insight?

Thanks

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Zeiss Ikon Maximar 207/3 which is 6.5x9.
    It came with a film pack adapter # 668/2 but I am not sure if it will fit a Recomar.
    The holder has grooves down the side so the lip is skinny as is the slide part on the camera back.

I am not sure if the entire side flange including groove is considered fat lip though.

After someone on this forum suggested using it to make a GG back I am planning on doing so once I find me a pices of ground glass for it.
    In the meantime I cut a piece of Wax Paper and taped it inside the holder to use as a viewing screen; not perfect but it works quite well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't been on the forum for a long time, som I'm a bit late. but I hope this can be useful.
    My reprint of the Zeiss Ikon 1936 catalouge says that 668/2 is for the Maximar. 728/2 is for Zeiss Ideal. It's a pop-off back, quite different from the 668/2. It will only fit the Ideal and Ica Minimal I think.
    I am the lucky owner of a 9x12cm Ideal. I find the fold out hood of the ordinary groud glass back getting in the way when I use a dark cloth, so I recently made a new ground glass back from my film pack adapter. I just pulled out the hinge-pin with a pair of pliers and removed the lid. Then I glued a piece of ground glass in place with some silicone. Couldn't be easier. Next step is to mount a fresnel lens. The best thing is that the film pack adapter is not permanently damaged, so it can be easily restored.
    Good luck!
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like I meant something other than the Maximar, as everything I'm finding now would indicate that the Maximar and Recomar (and Voigtlaender cameras, and many more) used the same backs. So apparently 668/2 would be what I wanted.

But in the event, someone very kindly gave me a 6.5x9 GG back that they weren't using, so the original problem is solved. Now I just need a few more film holders...

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin