Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,586   Online: 853

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mustard seed View Post
    I built my 11x14 a year ago, with 10 film holders. I carry it a 4x5 and 2- 35mm cameras with me in the field in 4 hard cases on a cart. I had shot, 5x7 and 8x10 and wasnít sure how I would like the 11x14.
    It is heavy, it is big, it draws a crowd (which for me is a pain) but with all this I love it, for me I just love the contact size of the 11x14.
    BTW, I bought Sandyís book of carbon itís great. Even if I donít ever print in carbon, itís just cool.
    Thanks Sandy
    The drawing a crowd part is the only thing that annoys me. I've found even when I just go out to shoot with my 4x5 press camera, people feel the need to either ask me if it's digital or ask me if it shoots video... not once has anyone asked me what film I am using.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post

Do any of you shoot glass negs, or is this a silly question. I have a 11x14 mint enlarger and always wanted to put a 11x14 glass plate neg and project to 30x40 silver. I think it would look incredible.

I have glass plates in multiple large sizes and would be happy to send you either one of my 5x7", 8x10", 10x12 or 11x14" plates to print and play with if your happy to pay for the Fed-ex.

~steve
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I would be interested in seeing an 11x14 glass plate optically enlarged, but maybe we could get a show that hangs here in Toronto and one in Auz.
    As you know Stephen I am very old and my days of play are over, but still need to pad my retirement. It will only take twenty more years .
    What kind of images do you have in 11x14, send me some jpegs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I have glass plates in multiple large sizes and would be happy to send you either one of my 5x7", 8x10", 10x12 or 11x14" plates to print and play with if your happy to pay for the Fed-ex.

~steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I normally produce positive plates and am about to do a series of images on 5x7 but i can put something to 11x14 i have 6 plates left in 11x14. I will pull some images out and you can pic what you want i will find out how much shipping will be.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am most interested in over 8x10> 10x12 or 11x14, I am also looking at negative plates as I would love to see on FB.
    maybe worth working on a series in negative/ positive , you make some Cibas and I will make some fibres from the plates you produce, could be a killer show. I have a couple of friends here in NA with gallerys that could showcase the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I normally produce positive plates and am about to do a series of images on 5x7 but i can put something to 11x14 i have 6 plates left in 11x14. I will pull some images out and you can pic what you want i will find out how much shipping will be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i love 5x7" plates the most

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    personally im not interested in prints from large plates. they seem pointless to me.
    when they are that size ide rather view the plate than a print from it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think the added weight of 11x14 would be an issue if your are already carrying around a wet-plate setup. Lens should not be expensive; you don't need a shutter. I'd think the extra size will really make your work impressive. 8x10 reduction back is a great idea for film use. But you will probably be spoiled by the big size of your 11x14 wet plates and go for big film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zrisso View Post
    The drawing a crowd part is the only thing that annoys me. I've found even when I just go out to shoot with my 4x5 press camera, people feel the need to either ask me if it's digital or ask me if it shoots video... not once has anyone asked me what film I am using.
    Last Sunday, first time out with a 4x5. Twice I got asked if it was a Speed Graphic, which it is. Both times they said their fathers had one and the photographs were wonderful. I can only imaging that the reaction with the size camera discussed in this thread that the reactions are exponent function of the format size.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    this thread is pretty old but has been recently commented on.

11x14 for wet plate is PITA. if you do do 1114 then it is a studio only endeavor IMO.....for the beginner.

remember you need fast lenses. fast 11x14 lenses are VERY expensive and VERY BIG. only studio cameras can really hold them. you can force other cameras into service but you will find them sub standard. traveling with1114 is a real pain.

even 8x10 is a bit much IMO. i use smaller formats to travel with. most all portable 8x10 cameras lack the lens board size and the front standard for a lens that "really" covers 8x10. again, they are better suited for studio work.

all the above is directed more towards portraits. landscape work would require a slower lens as you may be shooting in open SUN. so your exposures would be significantly faster.

as a beginner i would say get an 8x10 camera. get bill schwabs holder for it. 5x7 insert and shoot 5x7 (or smaller) for a while. most all fast lenses for 5x7 will easily fit on most 8x10 lens boards that are 6x6 inches.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin