Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,111   Online: 1219

Shooter
    35mm

Film Holders 9x12 vs 6x9

Greetings!
    I recently purchased an Avus that came with an assortment of old items including three film holders, a pack film holder, and a ground glass. Unfortunately they don't fit the Avus! Needless to say, they don't fit anything I have.
    Outside measurements are 3 5/8" x 5 3/16" for the ground glass with the holders only slightly longer. Are these for a 9x12? Anyone have ideas on where/how to locate holders for the Avus?
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds about right for 9x12 holders you'll find the metric dimensions for a few in this section of the Forum.

You can easily find 9x12 holders and even roll film backs on Ebay, but being sure they'll fit an Avus is partially luck, and how good the photographs & descriptions are. Search Ebay.co.uk and Ebay.de (login details are identical as all are on the same US server).

Welcome to APUG BTW

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Ian!
    I suppose if these are 9x12 that I would need 6x9, would that be correct? Are 6x9s easy to locate?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to measure the camera back and plate holder area.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    The pack film holder measures 3x5" with a film opening 2 3/8 x 3 3/8" (6cm x 8.5cm if my math is correct, but I ain't a math guy) .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the pack film holder fits the camera then you need 6x9 plate holders, and film adaptor inserts.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep an eye on Pacific Rim Camera too.....
    http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/index.htm

I eventually found some Zeiss Icon 6.5 x 9 holders with sheaths from them.
    They sell on eBay as well.
    Holders from other makers may work as well. I found an ARCAP Combination Holder that worked on my camera, its sheaths are interchangable for different sized film, unfortunately it only came with one sheath.

Make sure the holders you find come with film sheaths.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin