Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,544   Online: 1178

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey Jim... other than trimming approximately 9/10" from the two long sides is there anything I need to do to make this holder complatible with 8x10 other than sanding (smoothing), staining, and sealing the two newly raw edges?
    Last edited by Mike1234; 01-10-2010 at 12:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Allen Friday had the holder that is similar to yours and we used it for wet plate. He showed me how he had simply cut it down on the sides in a table saw. I don't recall if he did anything else to make it work. I don't know if it had a slot or rib that worked with his camera, an 8x10 Tachihara, but with a good dense darkcloth and the collodion there was no fogging of the plates even if there were any gaps. I know the T dimensions for his holder were compatible because the plates we made were sharp. I sent him a PM about his holder but if you contact him directly he could provide some specifcs. Yours might not be exactly the same but from what I recall it sure seems the same.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Jim. I'll contact Allen. The're is no way to add a ridge since the sliding sliding front prevents use of one... it's flush with the front of the holder. Perhaps short ones could be added to the outer edges but I see no point in that since the majority of the edge can't have one. Contacting Allen Friday now.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi all,

Sorry to be late to the party, but I have been traveling and just got back to Iowa yesterday.

I have two similar holders, which I purchased off e-bay. I paid $99 for one of them, and got the other for about half that. Sorry, I don't remember the exact price. The holders I have are different, however. Mine are labeled "Bromoil" holders. They are the same thickness as a modern holder. Unmodified, they were about 1/4 inch wider than a standard holder. I simply placed my regular holder over the Bromoil holder and marked the size with a pencil. I then trimmed down one side with a table saw. My holders have a hinge on one side which prohibits trimming both sides of the holder. There is no ridge along the top, but I have not had any problems with light leaks.

The holder you show looks older than the one I have. It also looks a bit thicker. Be sure to check the thickness of the holder (and film/plate position) before trimming down the sides.

The insides of the holders look the same. I clean the insides each time I use the holder for wet plates. I wipe down the inside before the plate goes in and after taking the plate out for processing. Be sure to clean the back of the holder.

I really like my holders. I can have one holder and it will take many sizes of plates. I hope you can make this one work for you.

Allen

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Allen... thanks for the info. This one is indeed thicker than a standard 8x10 holder but the distance to the plates "looks" about right... I haven't measured. The end (bottom) is correctly postioned with a standard 8x10 holder and the sides are plenty wide to allow trimming. At any rate, I'll measure depth before trimming. I'll have to find that information and dig out the old micrometer.

Thanks Again!!
    Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Okay... measured the thickness of the plate holder area... approx. 4.57mm or 0.179921". The distance between the front of the plate and the front of the holder is approx. 8.86mm or 0.348818".

Any more help available??

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The depth of the plate in the holder needs to be the same as your ground glass when in place on your camera. Measure your ground glass and compare to your holder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin