Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,089   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Is This a Multi Format Plate Holder?

Sorry for my ignorance on plate cameras and accessories. I just never got into them. However, I received this as part of a package purchase a few years ago and I need help identifying its purpose. Thanks in advance for your help. Pics will be in two posts.

Overall dimensions are 11" wide x 11 7/16" long x 3/4" thick.

/// Back? ////// Front? ////// Pull knob & 1 slide lock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5886.jpg   DSCN5885.jpg   DSCN5887.jpg  
    Last edited by Mike1234; 01-07-2010 at 11:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Four more pics...

/// Front open / Inserts removed / Back open / Front slide has multi-hinge that wraps around to back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5888.jpg   DSCN5889.jpg   DSCN5890.jpg   DSCN5891.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup. The inserts allowed different size plates to be used on the same camera without changing backs. By the relatively clean appearance, I would guess the whole set was for dry plates, though I've seen them adapted for wet-plate work. Pretty nifty, huh? I have a set for my Rochester Universal.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Whitey!! Any idea what it's worth? It shows some external wear but it's in great shape and 100 percent complete. Any idea what camera it fits? It seems to be an odd size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No idea whatever. I'm sure there is a buyer out there somewhere, but the size of the whole thing makes me wonder if it's not specific to one camera, thereby reducing the potential buyer crowd to people who are interested in customizing - and the few owners of one particular (unknown) variety of antique camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    No idea whatever. I'm sure there is a buyer out there somewhere, but the size of the whole thing makes me wonder if it's not specific to one camera, thereby reducing the potential buyer crowd to people who are interested in customizing - and the few owners of one particular (unknown) variety of antique camera.
    Thanks, Whitey. That's what I was afraid of. This may be difficult to sell then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think if you measure it you will find the depth of the film plane consistant with modern holders. However it will be wider than a standard camera back. I know someone who cut off a certain amount off the side on a table saw to make it usable for wet plate.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Jim. I'll check to see if this can be done. I think the width is about a quarter inch or a bit more too wide for standard 8x10... I'm unsure about the length.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1/4" sounds about right IIRC. If you decide it is not something you want to keep send me a PM. I would like to purchase it.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Will do, Jim. Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin