Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,044   Online: 1188

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

identifying this 9x12 camera

I'm trying to find out which type/mark of camera this one is:

- shutter 1-200 compur
    - rodenstock 1:3.5/f=13,5cm no. 321392 doppel anastigmat Eurynar
    seems a 1920-1930 ies fabricated lens
    http://www.bigshotz.co.nz/schneider.html
    - "DF" marked on the shutter time wheel
    - all the rest of the camera isn't marked at all
    - described the 3 holders in an earlier post

I'm thinking it's a Zeca or maybe a Welta?

Anyone who can help?

Questions left:
    *do I use the holder without the glas plate when sheet film is used? or do I replace the green glass with a piece of 9x12 sheetfilm?
    * is the wired frame a viewfinder together with the hole diam 8 mm in the black metal plate?

thanks!

rhmimac
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0011.jpg   IMGP0012.jpg   IMGP0013.jpg   IMGP0014.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well it's almost identical to one of mine, but they are 2 or 3,000 miles away back in the UK so I'll have to check some other way which has the Eurynar, the Orion Werks or Rodenstock camera.

Many cameras used common parts so it makes identification very difficult if there's no makers plate.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Philippe Grunchec

"The fundamental problem any artist faces in regard to craft is that it must be largely ignored" Richard Benson.

http://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for the link Philippe

rhmimac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    rhmimac, I found some photo's of my 9x12's and it's similar but not identical to my Orion Werks which also has a Euynar. This is a larger than average Compur shutter for 9x12 cameras and it's a less common lens. It's more prone to flare than a Tessar as it has 4 elements, but none grouped so there are 8 air glass interfaces. compared to the Tessar's 6, but it should be sharper.

You can date the camera further by checking the Compur serial number as it's not possible to get close with the lens serial number. It's on the side next to the IBT setting.

It's not a Welta, the struts for the tailboard are not their style, and I don't think it's a Zeca either. In the 20's & 30's there were many unbranded 9x12's often sold to camera stores or wholesalers who put their own name plates on them, the closest I can see is a Wallace & Heaton Zodel "Regular" in a 1928 advert, they were once London's première photo-store. The Zodel "Regular" has the right struts, side carrying handle fittings and bright line finder but not the same lens or shutter but sometimes stores fitted lenses & shutters after.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian,

you're a walking wikipedia on this! Many thanks.
    I'm going to test the camera in the holiday season with some expired 135 film (SFX 200) positioned in the middle of the holder to get some idea on the eventual leaks which might be there. It's stupid to throw in expensive Ilford sheets when only black negs would come out, not?
    The final goal is to have the family where it came from portraited with this camera. It belonged to their father who passed recently.
    I would like to give them a nice portrait as a remembrance. Do you print your 9x12 negs in a enlarger? Or do you go the "other way" with the d in it?

rhmimac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I enlarge all my negatives. Fomapan 9x12 film can be bought from Fomafoto who advertise here on APUG, great service & prices. I'd suggest you try and find a lens hood that fits the lens, I can't remember what the size is. My Eurynar has less contrast than a slightly older Tessar on my Patent Etui and the old rules about shooting with the sun behind your shoulders are needed, the Eurynar will flare.

About 3 years ago I started listing all the 9x12 camera's of this type that I came across noting what lenses etc came with them, but since then I bought 3 British Journal Photographic Almanacs, 1928, 35, & 39 and they are full of adverts etc, images of the camera's. I just happen to yse these books for reference almost daily

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin