Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,171   Online: 795

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it has a nicely Shakespearian whiff about it, it reminds me of "to take arms against a sea of troubles". Or Homeric, "a wine dark sea". I'd like to think I'm taking arms against a wine dark sea of daft ebay sellers.

Or maybe I'm just being silly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my search to find the manufacturer of my Quarter plate camera I've come across some equally anomalous prices, and had a couple pointed out to me.

This one takes the biscuit £25,000/$39,500 They aren't that rare, uncommon yes, but nothing outstanding and not that desirable.

Similarly there was a camera identical to mine on sale in Israel for $2,500, maybe not so bad still a high price but then prices are higher in some markets/countries. Typically a good plate camera will fetch 3 times as much in Istanbul compared to the UK.

Ian

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That settles it, I am going to retire early and make a fortune by selling the junk out of my cupboard to the gullible.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "If it's old, it must be valuable."
    The mantra of the greedy and know-nothing seller down through the ages.

easter NY, 2 miles so. of Canadian border
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Ian Grant----While all of us who speak English as a first language pick on each others countrys nuances of pronunciation, re-read his description. That is not English as spoken by someone from any So-called English speaking country I've ever heard of. Could this be that scam artist that has a post box in England, but actually lives in Nigeria? ?Que pasa?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've gotta be honest here... I didn't actually understand what he was saying :0(

As with all things, market economics comes to bear surely?
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by premo View Post
    Ian Grant----While all of us who speak English as a first language pick on each others countrys nuances of pronunciation, re-read his description. That is not English as spoken by someone from any So-called English speaking country I've ever heard of. Could this be that scam artist that has a post box in England, but actually lives in Nigeria? ?Que pasa?
    We have a large immigrant population and I know from personal experience that even families who have been here 40+ years often have members with poor or no grasp of English.

The seller has 100% feedback so it's unlikely it's a scam, in addition some sources say that manufacturer's cameras are rare. By coincidence one of my friends was selling a nicer camera of the same make and asked what I thought it would make, my estimate of £250-300 turned out to be spot on as the camera fetched £269.

So misguided ideas of value but not a scam

Ian

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Strange - I had very little difficulty with making sense of that long post! I suppose that could be because I'm not a native English speaker, and i am somewhat familiar with Italian too. There is no doubt in my mind that the poster is Italian.

I wonder - is this the same seller who sells Soviet FKD plate cameras as "antiques"? Or at least TRIES to sell them? If so, their knowledge os cameras is so poor that I would never ever buy anything from them, no matter what the provenance. They may not realise it, but that kind of thing can only harm their reputation.

I do actually own a lens I bought complete with provenance. But that is a Steinheil prototype, not a Whatsitar used by Whosit to take Thatpic...

Addendum:
    No, it's not that seller. There is/was another Italy-based antiques dealer who did/tried that about a year ago...
    Last edited by Ole; 11-10-2010 at 12:14 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Addendumdum
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I made the original post I had two thoughts in mind. The first was that the ebay listing would give a few plate camera enthusiasts here a bit of amusement. I think Roberto took exception to that. The second thing, which I didn't explain (but hinted at a little too obliquely in the title) was that plate camera prices seem to be rising. I do like the phrase "cooking in dark waters" though!

Perhaps I should add, I'd never make fun of a persons efforts in a second language, I have a daily struggle to communicate in the Korean language.

I've recently seen another plate camera item listed for crazy money, a Rada rollback for several hundred dollars...perhaps a crazy plate camera listing thread, or last plate camera purchase thread would be of interest / amusement to others!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apkujeong View Post
    Perhaps I should add, I'd never make fun of a persons efforts in a second language, I have a daily struggle to communicate in the Korean language.
    Not sure if that was directed at me? I hope not. This is someone who clearly has a good grasp of the English language, I just didn't understand the crux of what he was trying to say. Actually, I reckon that if I heard him say it, then I may well have picked up on it - I just found it hard to read.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin