Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,791   Online: 978

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Searching in English is likely to throw up much information as Nadar was French few of the cameras he sold would have left the country. I'm sure if you looked in the French equivalent of the British Journal of Photography you'd find adverts for Nadar & his camera sales.

Ian
    That still seems a bit disappointing...

Now my French isn't good, and I don't know if there is better word in French for camera, but even after setting the Google language preferences to French and searching with the keywords "Nadar appareil photo", very little is turned up...

I did hit upon another interesting English site though... Now if you had one of these, there might be some real value:

Historically Important Cameras

It is one of the most extraordinary collections I have seen up to now displayed on a site. Especially love this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raderkanone__1912_.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	26968
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I didn't know Brad Pitt was into analog photography, maybe we should invite him to APUG

My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was very pleased to learned that it's auction estimate falls in line with what I paid for the camera. So, now I will reluctantly move on to phase 2 of this operation . . . bellows replacement. I have made a number of 8x10 bellows, but this would be the smallest to-date. I've seen leather bellows, painted cloth bellows, vinyl and cloth bellows, and even paper bellows. The paper versions have intrigued me because of their simplicity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regardless of the estimates the camera is worth more to you. While it might not add to the monetary value it does have the Nadar connection and you know it passed through the shop. There's some great cartoon's he did of himself online and some are worth printing & keeping with the camera.

On a more practical note, see if you can make an adapter to take standard 5x4 darkslides, I've made an adapter for a roll-film back that slips in like a plate holder on my Quarter plate, there may be enough room to do similar with your camera. Then I made a second lens board to use a more modern lens.

I've seen the Sands, Hunter tailboard camera with a Thornton Pickard shutter attached to the lens board, but they can also be fitted to the front of the lens.

Let us see how you get on with it, it's nice camera to own and it'll be fun to use.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    . . . .

On a more practical note, see if you can make an adapter to take standard 5x4 darkslides, I've made an adapter for a roll-film back that slips in like a plate holder on my Quarter plate, there may be enough room to do similar with your camera. Then I made a second lens board to use a more modern lens. . . .

Ian
    I'm more inclined to try and use the original plate holders, if possible. At first glance, they look like they'ld be perfect for both 4x5 film and paper negatives with no alteration to the holder. Just drop in the film, drop in a backing board, put the septum in, and repeat for the other side. I'll realize the difficulties in actual practice. It can't be any worse than loading my ol'drop-plate camera.

I'm not a big fan of roll film, not at all. Sheet film keeps me engaged. I can make a single exposure, and then get right on with developing and printing . . . all in the same afternoon. Whereas with roll-film, it can take me several weeks to expose a roll of film. Otherwise, I'm just wasting roll-film so that I can move on to the developing stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wasn't thinking of a roll film conversion in your case, it was the only real option with my Quarter plate camera as film's only available as part of Ilfords ULF order and expensive, plus I have no plate holder

You're right a spacers possibly all that's needed with your wooden holders, I'm more used to the German 9x12 metal plate holders that need a film insert. The only thing you may have to watch is the nominal 5x4 film size is a touch less than the plate size, but you may have no problem.

I'll copy what I have about the Sands, Hunter cameras and let you have the info as jpegs. It's interesting that the company still sold a tailboard camera 45 years later in 1928. I collect BJP Almanacs but pre WWII copies tend to be expensive, pre WWI even more so. The Tailboard camera & a field camera are in the 1928 Almanac but gone by 1935 but 35mm is beginning to appear with fast f1.5 lenses, there's better more modern Rolleiflex's and Europe made faster switch to small formats than the US.

When I'm back in the UK next month I'll be looking for plate holders for my quarter plate camera, (I may have also bought a half plate camera), let me have some photo's and dimensions in case just I find some holders that may fit your camera. I'll be liaising with a friend who deals in cameras and will ask him as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post

And I didn't know Brad Pitt was into analog photography, maybe we should invite him to APUG
    It's funny that you mentioned that. I purchased the Pentax 645N that I currently have listed in the classifieds, from a concern located on Main St. in Shawnee Oklahoma. Mr. Pitt, I do believe, has had some association with this town. It's a small world after all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want to use it without altering/harming it, you can always have a new back made to fit it that takes 4x5 film holders. Also depending on how the original bellows are mounted, you MIGHT be able to remove them without destroying them and have a new set made to fit. I'm doing this (on a bigger scale) with a 12x15 Watson "field" camera (I use the term loosely - it's a tailboard model that is effectively self-casing, but it has no carrying handle and it is solid mahogany so it weighs a ton). The original bellows for it were completely shot when I got it so I'm just going to make (or have made) a new set.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On a more practical note, see if you can make an adapter to take standard 5x4 darkslides, I've made an adapter for a roll-film back that slips in like a plate holder on my Quarter plate, there may be enough room to do similar with your camera. Then I made a second lens board to use a more modern lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesaraugusta View Post
    I'm more inclined to try and use the original plate holders, if possible. At first glance, they look like they'ld be perfect for both 4x5 film and paper negatives with no alteration to the holder. Just drop in the film, drop in a backing board, put the septum in, and repeat for the other side. I'll realize the difficulties in actual practice. It can't be any worse than loading my ol'drop-plate camera.
    On a side note, these remarks actually raise an interesting small question for me: At what time did the modern 4x5 holders become "standard"??

E.g. if I wanted to buy a historic camera, what is the oldest camera that I can buy that will take a modern 4x5 holder without any adjustment or fiddling to either camera or holders?
    My website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    On a side note, these remarks actually raise an interesting small question for me: At what time did the modern 4x5 holders become "standard"??

E.g. if I wanted to buy a historic camera, what is the oldest camera that I can buy that will take a modern 4x5 holder without any adjustment or fiddling to either camera or holders?
    1946 I think, I have a BJP Almanac with the details back in the UK.

That was the point where the Internatioanl backs became standard and the Imperial & Metric size holders would fit the same backs.

Prior to WWII there was a major problem in Europe where there were no agreed standards and plate (film) holders and even roll film backs weren't interchangeable between all cameras of the same format. For historical reasons Zeiss made 3 variations at one point.

So after 1946 a European 9x12 DDS (double dark-slide) would fit a 5x4 camera and vice versa, and similarly with larger formats.

The flat sided DDS that we use now was used as far back as the 1890's but it seems to have become more Universal in the US earlier than the UK but backs became more standard with the introduction of film packs and roll film holders. Some of the early Kodak's made in the US & UK would take modern film holders.

Ian

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin