Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,300   Online: 1135

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's an image of a similar holder . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7493297@N07/445428750/

Notice how the slide being pulled out is hanging low towards the tablecloth. There's is a visible gap between the slats nearer the holder. Mine slides have no sign that there was ever any glue between the slats. Interesting to say the least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It appears they were made to split so the small end should come away from the rest. See here. You learn something new every day. See Fig B15.

My guess is the second split shouldn't be there in the image you attached as it's a crack in the wood & not straight.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the first part of the statement below sounds a little misleading. If the slide is pulled up and then folded, it must fold back towards the operator. If you tried to fold it over the camera (ie; forward) it would probably explode into a pile of sticks. Mine has more than one unglued joint. For grins, I'll post a picture of it also.

"Wooden draw-slides could generally not be fully removed from the dark-slide and were usually made up of several pieces of wood joined by a cloth hinge which allowed it to fold over the top of the camera when drawn.3 W. Watson (of Holmes & Watson) patented the idea of having small strips of wood stuck to the cloth hinge to make it light-tight."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It appears they were made to split so the small end should come away from the rest. See here. You learn something new every day. See Fig B15.

My guess is the second split shouldn't be there in the image you attached as it's a crack in the wood & not straight.

Ian
    Ian, do I understand you right you are also referring to this part of the text?:

"Wooden draw-slides could generally not be fully removed from the dark-slide and were usually made up of several pieces of wood joined by a cloth hinge which allowed it to fold over the top of the camera when drawn.3 W. Watson (of Holmes & Watson) patented the idea of having small strips of wood stuck to the cloth hinge to make it light-tight."

So, looking at the image below, the top part of the dark slide with the small "arms" sign on it, could be "hinged" at 90 degrees along the "cloth hinge" visible as a small horizontal line across the slide?Actually, not a bad idea if the slide was non-removable as suggested in the text and apparent from the design of the holder in the image, as it would not catch air turbulence in that configuration...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bbook.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	27011

Indeed a nice text about holders!
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's too many variations of these darkslides, When I had a Sanderon to fix for someone the 10x8 Book form darkslides were rigid, as have been others I've hanled. But I was watching a set of 6 half plate DDS today and they had the single bend/split, back towards the operator.

I'd guess the writer is correct, he's accessed a lot data from some good sources, over the top of the camera is ambiguous but it does cover backwards. His site is by far the most authoritative of any about British vintage wood & brass cameras.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I'm surprised how little some of these camera's are selling for, a very good condition half plate Watson Premier sold for £269 ($410) 8 weeks ago with the original case, two Dallmeyer lenses, a Thornton Pickard shutter and 6 dark slides. A 15"x12" Premier was fir sale for for £300 with no bellows, I think the seller's is an APUG member, as he mentioned having a 2nd 15x12 Premier and having new bellows made by Custom (Camera) Bellows, and getting a wet plate back made.

Ian
    If that's what it is, that's MY camera now. I bought that one here on APUG a while ago. The difference between it and the one you posted the photo of is that it does NOT have a tripod/legs mounting ring, rather an after-the-fact 3/8 threaded socket and a solid baseboard to the tailboard.

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Different sized holders from different makers have different flexible hinge arrangements. My Thornton-Pickard half-plate holders, for example, have two bends in the join; the dark slide is made up of three pieces, joined with black cloth on the inside. Just like this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7493297@N07/445428750/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    If that's what it is, that's MY camera now. I bought that one here on APUG a while ago. The difference between it and the one you posted the photo of is that it does NOT have a tripod/legs mounting ring, rather an after-the-fact 3/8 threaded socket and a solid baseboard to the tailboard.
    I posted the whole page, the top camera was the Acme a field camera

You can have higher resolution images from the other adverts if you want them, they are all quite different angles and higher quality than the 1928 image. The 1939 image show a camera tripod mounted, with it attached via two tripod sockets.

BTW the APUG member who sold the 15x12 then had his second for sale, did you buy the first from the UK ?

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I especially love these image of a semi-automatic changing box for plates, and the descriptive text that accompanies it. So simple and clever all of the described designs! For clarity (if I understand it right ): the thin black curving line on top represent a flexible light tight changing bag into which the plate was dropped before moving it to the front of the plate holder for exposure (right side of image). This text about holders is getting better each line I read! So nice to see these things explained!

"Bag Type

The plates were usually held in metal sheaths and stacked in a box having a cloth or leather top. To change plates the front or rear plate was gripped by the fingers through the bag and moved to the other end of the box. The plate had to be raised so that it could be gripped by the fingers, two common methods were:

* Lever - a lever or arm was used to raise the front or back plate. Early examples were by Newman, Rouch and Sinclair
    * Draw-slide - when the draw-slide was returned after an exposure it raised the front plate, boxes by Reid and Grundmann were of this type."
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a picture of one of the three holders. Since the slats are not affixed to the cloth backing you can see how it is configured. I separated the slats to add drama to the scene.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/...7133036f_b.jpg

Here's one of the negative holder frames. It still contains a paper negative that appears to have been installed wet.
    Patented May '85. It is perfect for holding a sheet that is 4x5 inches in size.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/...212950fb_b.jpg
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/...22f9101b_b.jpg

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin