Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,631   Online: 1097

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesaraugusta View Post
    Here is a picture of one of the three holders. Since the slats are not affixed to the cloth backing you can see how it is configured. I separated the slats to add drama to the scene.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/...7133036f_b.jpg

Here's one of the negative holder frames. It still contains a paper negative that appears to have been installed wet.
    Patented May '85. It is perfect for holding a sheet that is 4x5 inches in size.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/...212950fb_b.jpg
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/...22f9101b_b.jpg
    Nice, this explains it all about the "hinge" in the slide. Curious though, yours clearly has a multi-faceted hinge. I expected just one "hinge"...

Could this feature potentially have to do with accommodating different plate / negative sizes and / or different types of cameras?

With a multi-faceted hinge, I could potentially foresee an issue with shoving it back in the holder... might not always be so easy.

Also interesting the picture of the paper negative in the metal frame. Although the text about holders is quite thorough, one clear omission, is showing such a metal frame for holding the paper negatives, even though they are mentioned in the text.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film-Advance Indicators
    Click
    Typically a measuring roller would turn as the film was advanced, a pin on the roller lifted and then let drop a spring - making a click sound (fig. B44). Later models of the Warnerke holder used an electric bell triggered by holes in the paper.
    Would have loved to hear this one in operation!
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The descriptions of various pre-Grafmatic backs is very interesting, and that actually gives me an idea for Dann.

It's possible that the septums from an old Grafmatic back might be good for film inserts in the Sands, Hunter plate holders, they are very similar to the 9x12 sheaths.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I posted the whole page, the top camera was the Acme a field camera

You can have higher resolution images from the other adverts if you want them, they are all quite different angles and higher quality than the 1928 image. The 1939 image show a camera tripod mounted, with it attached via two tripod sockets.

BTW the APUG member who sold the 15x12 then had his second for sale, did you buy the first from the UK ?

Ian
    Yes, I bought it from the UK. I would have liked to buy the fully restored camera, but it was NOT in my budget at the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Yes, I bought it from the UK. I would have liked to buy the fully restored camera, but it was NOT in my budget at the time.
    The 2nd 15x12 Watson is an enormous camera, obviously yours is exactly the same

What an amazing camera to own, you're very lucky. At least the square bellows it takes are the easiest of all to make.

This thread's got me champing at the bit, I've just held back twice from buying two Lizars Plate cameras. I already have two great 10x8 Agfa Ansco's but US camera's don't have the finesse & elegance of vintage British LF cameras.

I'm also getting an itch to start making emulsions again I've seen Ilford's glass plate coating line in action, on the last factory tour, so perhaps it's time to put 10 years of commercial emulsion making experience to use again.

What got me motivated was discovering that emulsions were sold are dry powder form, add water then melt and coat.

We can't make a cascade head so we need to look else where, it's all out there though and in detail.

Ian

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    This thread's got me champing at the bit, I've just held back twice from buying two Lizars Plate cameras. I already have two great 10x8 Agfa Ansco's but US camera's don't have the finesse & elegance of vintage British LF cameras.
    This thread's got me getting my Watson Acme out on a Friday evening so I can caress it and admire the tiny hand-cut dovetails. It really is a lovely thing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin