Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,133   Online: 906

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dial set shutter question

I have a quick question about dial set shutters - I have a few which have an arrow on the speed selector indicating that the dial should only be turned anti-clockwise. I recently looked at a dial set shutter without an arrow on the selector, can these types be turned both clockwise and anti-clockwise?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi

The dial sets the cam for the slow speed governor. Even though you can spin the dial in either direction on all shutters, when you move from B to the highest shutter speed (clockwise) you can damage she speed setting arm which couples into the cam (well you can bend it).

Thats why its best to set the shuttersanti-clockwise - especially if you are going from B to the highest shutter speed

Cheers

Andrew
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Andrew, I'd figured anti-clockwise would be safest, just wondered why there's no arrow on this particular shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bit of a follow up - I've been emailed some info that some dial set shutters (without indicator arrow) stop turning at 1 second, these turn clockwise to get back to the fast speeds. Can anyone else confirm this?

Should explain, the reason I'm curious is I'm thinking of buying a lens with such a shutter from an online store, would like to know these details in advance.
    Last edited by apkujeong; 10-25-2010 at 08:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin