Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,403   Online: 827

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old and small glass negatives, wich camera?

Just out of curiosity I bought some old glass negatives at a second hand shop. But I've never seen so small glass negatives before. Can anyone give me information about wich cameras/time period these negatives could be from? I would like to find out more about the negatives.

As you can see on the picture below there are three pictures on each glassplate and the glassplate is only 8cm long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    nobody knows?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Are they negatives or positives? The last one on the right looks to be a positive -- the others are too dark to tell one way or the other. if they are positives, then they might have been created for a slide show (magic lantern sort of thing). And if that is the case, then we are one step away from the camera that made the original images, which makes it difficult to tell much about the camera (other than there may not have been neither enlargement nor reduction done in image size).

Who knows? Maybe we are looking at the first family slide show!

Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 10-25-2010 at 12:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those are pretty neat. Maybe from one of those early spy cameras.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 10-25-2010 at 01:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    It's negatives.
    Then I don't have a clue.

Did the way you photographed the slide make them appear to be positives? That right image, if a negative, looks to then be a photo of a man in a black suit in front of white trees and a black sky. Odd!

Are the image closely related, or are the subjects more random?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pictures on the negatives are typically family "snapshots" and a couple of street photos. I bought tre glass negatives like the one on the picture above.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    The pictures on the negatives are typically family "snapshots" and a couple of street photos. I bought tre glass negatives like the one on the picture above.
    Great! Might be an early attempt at small format photography before or right at the time of the development of flexible film stock. Any clue as to location from the negatives?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Are they negatives or positives? The last one on the right looks to be a positive -- the others are too dark to tell one way or the other. if they are positives, then they might have been created for a slide show (magic lantern sort of thing). And if that is the case, then we are one step away from the camera that made the original images, which makes it difficult to tell much about the camera (other than there may not have been neither enlargement nor reduction done in image size).

Vaughn
    You are correct Vaughn, it's positives. I haven't looked at the for some time and thought I scanned them as negatives, but I didn't.

So they are all positives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

Vaughn
    Is it certain that since it's positives the pictures on the glass is only reproductions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin