Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,054   Online: 944

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lens Board on Goerz 210mm f5 Celor

I just got this lens yesterday and am intrigued by the mount . I wonder if this gives any clue regarding what camera it was originally used with.
    The Lens is a " Dopp Anastigmat serie IB Celor F= 210mm 1 : 5,0 Pat C P Goerz Berlin No 230258" which is a Dialyt construction. It is in a focusing mount so it most likely would have been mounted on a camera with a focal plane shutter.This borne out by the attributes of the Celor which was marketed on its ability to retain edge definition at wide apertures. The lens board is 130mm wide by 85mm high and the flange is 2mm approx thick.See Picture
    Because the lens focal length is in millimetres I believe this is probably pre 1914. Apertures run from f5 wide open, through f5.6, f6.3, f8 and thence to f 64. It came with its own generous solid metal hood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Celor-IB-#2.jpg   Celor-IB-#1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format

Celor Lens Board

I also meant to add that it was probably attached to some pre World War 1 press camera

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    The Lens is a " Dopp Anastigmat serie IB Celor F= 210mm 1 : 5,0 Pat C P Goerz Berlin No 230258"

Because the lens focal length is in millimetres I believe this is probably pre 1914.
    I'm not sure why you think they didn't use millimetres after 1914, but this list suggests you're not far off: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...09&postcount=4

Is it made of wood? It looks homemade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lens board is wooden but the extensin piece to which the lens is attached is metal and looks like a standard issue part for this focal length. This is probably the best clue if anyone has one of these on an existing camera.
    I can't remember where I read this but I was under the impression that Goerz stopped using mm as an indication of focal length after 1914 and switched to cm. I also have a Dogmar marked 15cm which was a further development of the Celor in the early 1920s.
    I did at first think that this might have been used on an Anschutz Ango but the board is too large for this camera. Maybe a Contessa Klapp ? Anyone have one of these?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have received information that the 210mm Celor was fitted to the 5x7 Anschutz camera which would accommodate the larger lens board required. This is not however a lens board for the Anschutz, nor would it require the extra extension. My feeling is that this lens mounting has probably been created to allow its use as an enlarger optic although I have no way of knowing for sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    In your right-hand picture there's an ARROW stamped on the side of the housing. Wonder if this arrow is for the focus scale, or? If it does not have an obvious purpose, it MIGHT be a British military marking. UK military gear of this vintage typically had a "Broad Arrow" stamp of type-acceptance. (But it does seem odd with a German lens...)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin