Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,521,985   Online: 1095

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gandolfi;

My reservations about RC are the following:

1. It often has a company watermark on the back and this is rather obtrusive if it prints through.

2. FB paper can be treated with oil or wax to render it more transparent for printing through.

However, there are ways around both of these. I have used Ilford MGIV RC as a paper negative in-camera at ISO 25 and have gotten some very good shots. I scan mine though.

And, your results are excellent. So, who am I to argue with such pictures?

PE

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Gandolfi;

My reservations about RC are the following:

1. It often has a company watermark on the back and this is rather obtrusive if it prints through.

2. FB paper can be treated with oil or wax to render it more transparent for printing through.

However, there are ways around both of these. I have used Ilford MGIV RC as a paper negative in-camera at ISO 25 and have gotten some very good shots. I scan mine though.

And, your results are excellent. So, who am I to argue with such pictures?

PE
    hi, and thanks for explaining.

The watermarks are important to avoid (but I havn't seen those for years..)

The oiling is a good point, but here is mine:

If you use fiber based papers, and you're ysing single weight papers, then - in my experience - the fibers in the paper will show much more clearly, than if you use a thicker paper.
    This also goes for RC papers - the "normal" thickness lets the fiber traces cover it self, so to speak, and then the "only" advantage would be a shorter exposing time...

Also - IMO - fiber based papers can be rather difficult to keep as flat as neccesary for a good contact print.. RC is much easier.

I am kind of lazy.. so I go for the quick and easy..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that there are arguments either way... Pros and cons. Use what works best for you is one of my mottoes..

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, if you have any further info or input on converting Fidelity sheet film holders for dry plates pass it along. I have been trying for quite some time to land a couple dry plate holders that will work in my modern field cameras but no luck so far. As bad as I want to avoid it, it appears I am going to have to come up with a DIY type solution. Do you have any idea what your friend used for the 4 small corner supports?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 6 dry plate holders purchased from a company that no longer esits. Several APUG member have given me some as well. I think them for it. In addition, Mark Osterman has been making them from scratch from 4x5 film holders. You may want to contact him.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dinner is served: http://www.collodion.org/plateholderconversion.html

(from the wonderful and informative website of Mark and France Scully Osterman)
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome.... I have a project to go do now! Thank you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin