Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,979   Online: 963

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ansco Supreme Film Pack

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some advice.

I recently bought a plate camera off ebay, there's no name on the on the camera, but that's for another thread. The reason I bought the camera is that while it's quite nice it came with a film pack containing some Ansco Supreme (12 shots), and I couldn't resist having a go at shooting it, even tho' it's probably dead.

I've been doing some research on the net and all I can find out is that it may be black and white and originally around ASA 100 or lower. I've also read that some Ancso film, that what I assume is the same period, was nitrate based.

so my questions are -

has anyone ever heard of this film or used it?
    should I be worried about it being nitrate based, if it is?
    can someone confirm the asa and if it's b&w?
    how does the film pack actually work?

I've uploaded some shots of the pack, so you can get a look at it.
    any info would be greatly appreciated

frankly, I can't wait to shoot it but know i should get some info first.

thanks a lot
    Dafydd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   back.jpg   side.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All I can speak to is the nitrate concern. When I was in my early teens my father, a chemical engineer and darkroom user, came across some ancient roll film - 620, 120, 616 - whatever. He tacked it to a board - outside - and touched a match to it. The entire strip, perhaps 3 feet long, literally burned in a flash, perhaps 1/10 of a second. Here's a link to Wikipedia which deals with the potential hazards of nitrate film. Scary stuff!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrate_film#Nitrate_film

Let's be careful out there....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    Let's be careful out there....
    thanks for the heads up, but looking at the dates on wiki it looks like I may be ok. Perhaps I should sacrifice a sheet to see how it burns.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should be able to "rob" the pack of an individual sheet of film to develop and test the exposure. The Ansco pack will probably much the same as a Kodak film pack. Based on a Kodak pack, after exposing a sheet pull the tab that moves the sheet to the back of the pack. In the dark open the pack holder and remove the film pack. Then open the the film pack by removing locking end and take out the single exposed sheet and process it. Reassemble the film pack and put it back in the holder. Be careful when opening the film pack because the metal parts of the pack are sharp and you can cut yourself very easily.

Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gordrob View Post
    The Ansco pack will probably much the same as a Kodak film pack. Based on a Kodak pack, after exposing a sheet pull the tab that moves the sheet to the back of the pack.
    so if number 12 is at the front (darkslide end) that the pack has already been exposed?

I have some individual sheet holders too, so I'll do what you suggest, maybe take one from the back to see if it's already exposed too.

thanks for the info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On the Kodak film pack after you have made your exposure you pull the tab out as far as it will come. You can then either tear the tab off or leave it attached. So I would expect that if the number 12 is showing then 12 exposures have been made - most Kodak film packs held up to 16 exposures. From the pictures you posted it looked like three exposures had been made and No. 4 was ready to be used.
    When processing a sheet you should develop the first one in a tray. I am assuming that the pack is a 2x3 pack and the film will be a little over sized to be processed in a hanger.
    Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gordrob View Post
    On the Kodak film pack after you have made your exposure you pull the tab out as far as it will come.
    I pulled one of the tabs today to see if the sheet pulls out, but instead it ran backwards and underneath and to the back of the pack on it's own. and then you remove the tab, so it looks like the ones at the back are probably broken rather than exposed.

what do you think the chance of it being nitrate based is?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    So what if it is nitrate based?
    Don't light it.
    NBF was dangerous when poorly stored in large quantities, such as a large reels of movie film or a thick pile of negatives. Cool, dry and separated are the rules.
    Very hot movie projection lamps were known to have ignited such film from time to time so building codes specified "fire proof" construction for projection rooms.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    All film packs are designed to work as you indicated. When the tab is pulled the film is moved to the back and a fresh sheet is ready for exposure. To remove the film it is necessary to slide the removable part at the top near the tabs, take out the sheet i nthe back and replace the sheath.
    Add some potassium bromide to the developer and yo are likely to find the film usable.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim,

thanks for the tip

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin