Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,241   Online: 891

Shooter
    Multi Format

Questions about Kodak 5X7 Plate Holder

I have a few questions about Kodak 5X7 Plate Holders. I tried to do a search, but nothing comes up. I have three of these plate holders and I am not too sure how they are used. They seem to have the ability to hold a plate on either side of the holder. The inside seems to have a plate size reducer?
    I also have an 8X10 Bromide Plate, that only has the ability to hold a plate on one side. The back is hinged. The plate holders are made by Graflex for Eastman Kodak.
    Any info would be appreciated.

Jose

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The 5X7 holders sound like they are designed for dry plates, and the 8X10 could possibly be a book form holder for wet plate. Post up a picture or two.

d

Shooter
    Multi Format

photos

Thanks,
    I should have included photos when I asked the question.

Any info would be appreciated.

Jose

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I believe that both of these holders were originally designed for dry plate. The 5X7 is a dry plate holder, with film sheaths for 4X5. One could easily shoot film with this holder, but obviously its more convenient to use a more modern film holder. You could shoot wet plate with it, but again, its not ideal. One would have to be exceedingly careful while handling the plate. I have shot wet plate in a dry plate holder for 8X10, and while it works, its quite cumbersome. Your 8X10 plate holder would be much easier to adapt to wet plate work, and would be a suitable working wet plate holder for use with a semi modern 8X10 camera with a spring back. You should just give everything a couple coats or varnish or poly, so the silver nitrate won't destroy the wood too quickly. This holder looks like it has seen better days, but should still hold some value as they don't come up on the used market too much.

Shooter
    Multi Format

platebreaker,

Thanks for all of the info. I know nothing about using plates for photos, other than what I have read in history books.

Again thanks for the info,

Jose

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin